My daughter has a huge splinter in her hand and i cant get it out...what do i do?

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 9:31 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's not hurting her, just leave it. They will eventually come out on their own. There is a kind of ointment that when you put it on them, it will actually draw them out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:35 PM on May. 7, 2011

• put her in the bath. let her play with some toys.. a lot of splinters come out that way
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:36 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Believe it or not, the most painless way to get them out in my experience, even when I was a kid, was by using a pin. Not a safety pin, a sewing pin. If she is little and you think she may be freaked out by it tell her to look the other way and count backwards from 100 so her focus is elsewhere. If she is older and you think she'll be okay with it then just tell her how you're gonna get it out. If it went in sideways, (you can see the length of the splinter under the skin) use the pin to gently through the top layer of skin above it until you can grasp the splinter with a pair of tweezers. If it went straight in (you can only see the top of the splinter) go around the visible part, pushing the skin down and poking into the splinter itself, gently prying it upward. Make sure to do it evenly all the way around. When you have enough of it above the skin, grasp it with the tweezers. Make sure to sterilize the needle first.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• You can try to dab a little elmers glue on it an let it dry the peel the glue back and see if the splinter will pull out

Or you can go to the drugstore or Wal-Mart and get a drawing salve/ointment and try that (I've had good luck w/ them but I usually get mine from the feed store - not sure if there's a difference or not)

And here's a thing about making your own drawing salve: http://www.ehow.com/how_4601266_make-drawing-salve-family-recipe.html
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It hurts her and is also inflammed around it
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 9:39 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Personally I would go to the DR's office if it's really that bad, G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:39 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Put a band-aid over it to deaden the skin around it then you should be able to pull it out.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• if it's inflammed go to the doctors.. they are going to want to make sure she is up to date and make sure the infection isnt serious.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:06 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Well, I tried to get it out...I called the doctor on call they said to put antibiotic ointment on it and a bandaid. He said it should come out on its own :) thank you ladies
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on May. 7, 2011