Pigeon toed and braces?

My 4, soon to be 5yr old son is VERY pigeon toed... We are going to the doctor monday to talk about braces and/or possible surgery :( Im so upset over this! His femer bones on both legs are twisted inward, causing him pain. Before i even consider surgery, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with braces on their children with this? Some doctors dont think braces will work, but the surgry is going to be horribly painful and I just dont know if I can put my son through that at such a young age :'(

IF there is ANY hope of braces helping him, I would really like to know. The wait for Monday is dragging and we cant sleep over this... The surgery will involve cutting the bone and twisting it outward... ugh makes my stomach knot at just the thought... Please, is there hope for braces?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 9:46 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• i am of very little help but my only advice is on baby gaga.com there was a woman i once ran into with a similar problem. she did braces, i am not sure how bad his was, but the braces were also painful and upset the child to wear. I would google the stats and rates on both and discuss with a dr or two what they feel is best and make a decision that way
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 9:49 PM on May. 7, 2011

• yea those that i have talked to, my friends and family who have had to wear braces also said they were very painful IF you can get the child to wear them! My unle had surgery on his legs when he was just an infant and now has almost perfectly strait legs... but my grandmother saids she wishes she never put him through that! It was months of him scream and crying in pain :'( I cant handle that! Its SUCH a hard choice i have to make.. I dont want my son in ANY pain!
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 9:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I am not in your shoes but I would consider this if it was me. how long do we give the braces before we resort to surgery? By the time we decide the braces are not working is surgery going to interfere with starting school?  If it would interfer I may consider surgery as the best option.   What is the recovery per leg? ( I assume they will do them one at a time) What kind of pain management are we talking about? What sort of casting (hip to toe or spica)  A spica is terribly confining so if that is what they would want to do I would consider the braces first.   These are my thoughts if it were my child.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• mine were really bad when I was born, but then they fixed them right away. I wore casts as a baby for months and then my shoes on the wrong feet for over a year. My problems were the ankles though as far as I know. My feet are fixed, but when I am relaxed or not thinking they turn back in, they are more comfortable that way =o/
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 10:01 PM on May. 7, 2011

• From what I have read and studied in school braces don't do anything then they end up having surgery any ways. Google these things for more info...

Increased Femoral Anteversion & Femoral torsion

Intoeing will correct itself in a vast majority of children younger than 8 years of age without the use of casts, braces, surgery, or any special treatment. A child whose intoeing is associated with pain, swelling or a limp should be evaluated by an orthopaedist.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:02 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Increased Femoral Anteversion This is expected to spontaneously correct in almost all children as they grow older. Studies have found that special shoes, braces, and exercises do not help. Surgery is usually not considered unless the child is older than 9 or 10 years and has a severe deformity that causes tripping and an unsightly gait.

Femoral torsion occurs when the child's thigh (femur) turns inward. It is often most obvious at about 5 or 6 years of age. The upper end of the thighbone, near the hip, has an increased twist, which allows the hip to turn inward more than it turns outward. This causes both the knees and the feet to point inward during walking.
    http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00055

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:03 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Okay so I read up some and most pages say that surgery is typically recommended between ages 6-8 because of self corrections as the body grows.. so I add to my list of questions: Should we give it more time to correct it's self? I would consider a 2nd opinion if my doctor was wanting to jump right into surgical correction... (This is after reading up some-obviously I don't know what they have said before of how severe they think it is)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• You should also know that they have come a LONG way with how this surgery is performed, and with pain management for kids. He will have much better medical care then you Uncle had years ago!! I would think he would have to wear the braces religiously for YEARS while he's growing for them to do any good. No mother wants to put their child thru pain... but sometimes you have to do this to make things right. Good luck Mama!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Hmmm. Read this...

In-toeing, or walking pigeon-toed (with inwardly turned feet), is another normal variation in the way the legs and feet line up. Babies may have a natural turning in of the legs at about 8 to 15 months of age, when they begin standing. The medical name for this condition is femoral anteversion.

Treatment for pigeon-toed feet is almost never required. Special shoes and braces commonly used in the past have never been shown to speed up the natural slow improvement of this condition. This, too, typically doesn't interfere with walking, running, or sports, and resolves on its own as kids grow into teens and develop better muscle control and coordination.
    Anonymous

• I know there are MANY questions to ask, and the more i think about them, the more i second guess everything! I only confuse myself even more :( This isnt like picking out a new pair of pants or something that can be decided on a split second. we have seen 3 different doctors, each one had their own opinion on trying braces first. But all in all, they agreed the bones SHOULD have fixed themselfs to some degree by now, but they are only getting worse :( I so badly want something as simple as braces to work and am praying so hard that thats all it will take, but the more i think about it, the less i truely believe tha will be the case... Monday cant come soon enough!
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 11:02 PM on May. 7, 2011