Another tax question?

If you are a non custodial parent do you have to show any kind of proof that you can claim the child on your taxes. My ex claimed our son on taxes when he wasn't supposed to. I am not sure if he was supposed to show any kind of proof to claim him?

jerseyshorefan

Asked by jerseyshorefan at 10:28 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• normally you have to show a court order plus he is supposed to have you sign a permission slip to claim the child I know because my ex has a court order stating he claims our 4 year old & he has sent me the "permission" slip to sign
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:08 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No, they don't have to show any proof whatsoever. It is illegal though, so if you wanna push it you can.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 11:28 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Because there is no court order nor did he have me fill out a 8332 form. So I am assuming its illegal?
    jerseyshorefan

Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 12:34 AM on May. 8, 2011

• He needs permission to and if he did it without permission you must submit your return by mail and include proof you had the child irs will make the adjustment
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:35 AM on May. 8, 2011

• If there's no Court Order, there's no proof that you were to claim your child either. Check out the IRS website about custody and taxes.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 7:11 AM on May. 8, 2011