Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another tax question?

If you are a non custodial parent do you have to show any kind of proof that you can claim the child on your taxes. My ex claimed our son on taxes when he wasn't supposed to. I am not sure if he was supposed to show any kind of proof to claim him?

Answer Question

Asked by jerseyshorefan at 10:28 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 4 (52 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • normally you have to show a court order plus he is supposed to have you sign a permission slip to claim the child I know because my ex has a court order stating he claims our 4 year old & he has sent me the "permission" slip to sign

    Answer by maiahlynn at 11:08 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • No, they don't have to show any proof whatsoever. It is illegal though, so if you wanna push it you can.

    Answer by amberpatterson at 11:28 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • Because there is no court order nor did he have me fill out a 8332 form. So I am assuming its illegal?

    Comment by jerseyshorefan (original poster) at 12:34 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • He needs permission to and if he did it without permission you must submit your return by mail and include proof you had the child irs will make the adjustment

    Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:35 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • If there's no Court Order, there's no proof that you were to claim your child either. Check out the IRS website about custody and taxes.

    Answer by laird6372 at 7:11 AM on May. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.