Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is back pay child support?

And how do you know if its owed to you?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Any child support that you haven't been paid since the order...

    Answer by CeeCee333 at 10:58 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • the parent who the child lives with gets child support.. 20% for 1 child 28% for two 30% for three.. you can receive support from the time you sepertate if you ask the court or the state enforcement for it.. you need a court order to get started.. If your ex doesn't pay what is supposed to pay or doesn't pay at all you should get back support but you have to let either the court or the enforcement unti know, I suggest the court they work faster..

    Answer by maiahlynn at 11:05 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • child support case dates back to the day you applied, so say yo applied 7mo. ago and you just start recieving it, the person paying the child support still owes you from the mos previous, and when they fail to pay it gains intrest, usually 8-12%

    Answer by amberpatterson at 11:26 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • My first reaction is exactly what the other ladies are saying...what has been ordered but not paid, however, I question that because I have heard that arrearages and back child support are two different things.

    That what is owed and hasn't been paid since the order is what the other parent is in ARREARS, but that BACK CHILD SUPPORT would go back before the order was ever made. For example, if the child was born in May, but the order wasn't filed until August, they might order back child support until May? Does that make sense?

    If he has an order and hasn't been paying it in full, that does not go away and he DOES owe it back to you if that is your situation.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • So my son was born in December 2009, would i get back child support if I filed as well? It hasn't even been filed yet, I haven't found the right form. Obviously it's been over a year now..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • If you haven't filed and there is no court order, then their is no back support owed to you unless the court orders it.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
Another tax question?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)