Too young for "grown up shampoo?"

Hello, I just gave my DD a bath she's 15 months and so ADORABLE. I could not find any baby wash or shampoo, so I had to make due with a mix of hand soap with moisturizers and lavender. when it came to washing her fruit caked hair I had to (gasp) use a pea sized amount of "Dove" shampoo. I felt terrible and made sure none of it got into her eyes when I washed it out. (which is almost silly considering that her wash stings like hell and she didnt mind the dove) She loves the way her hair feels now lol she keeps running her fingers thru it and smiling. And she smells a lot better too.

I was wondering if she is too young to turn this in to a regular thing? Is her hair and health going to suffer? Or is baby wash one of the few things that we've been "brain washed" to buy?

~paranoid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD is 23 months old and once in awhile I'll use my shampoo in her hair because it makes it look so nice! I just try really hard not to get any in her eyes, I think that's the big worry.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:07 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Do as you please with the shampoo in DD's hair!! it's fine :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 11:08 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i never did use baby shampoo for either of my kids...i always used mine...i use suave btw
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:10 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I stopped using baby shampoo when they learned not to pour it in their eyes. It doesn't hurt them, and they love picking out different smells every month!
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 11:13 PM on May. 7, 2011

• The "baby" shampoo is supposed to be gentle and not sting if it gets into the eyes. It's a LIE! I've accidentally rubbed my eyes while there were still trace amounts of the stuff on my fingers. It burns worse than my Suave Professionals that I use.

As long as you're careful not to get it in her eyes (duh!) I don't see a problem with not using the baby stuff.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:14 PM on May. 7, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with adult shampoo. Baby shampoo is just a slightly milder version. Same with body wash. Neither is a requirement. My kids were definitely using adult shampoo at 15 months- particularly the girls, who had longer hair that needed some conditioning.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:44 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Its fine, but the adult shampoo is a bit harsher so if you start to see the hair become dull or her scalp dryer, then it is stripping the oils from her hair and should be stopped.

The difference is that adult shampoo contains soaps and detergents that strip the scalp and hair of natural oils. Baby shampoo is a surfactant that does not strip the oil.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• n the regular formula of Johnson's Baby Shampoo it lists water, cocamidopropyl betaine, PEG-80 sorbitan laurate and sodium trideceth sulfate. Citric acid, PEG-150 distearate, polyquaternium-10, fragrance and tetrasodium EDTA are also ingredients. The last Three ingredients are quaternium-15, yellow 10 and orange 4. Here is info on the surfactant in J*J baby shampoo.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:59 PM on May. 7, 2011

• vs. Dove Ingredients list.

The ingredients are,
    Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium C12-13 Pareth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betane, Glycol Distearate, Dimethiconol, Glycerin, Tea-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Lauryl Glucoside, Arginine, Panthenol, Hydrogenated Palm Glucoside, Carbomel, Sodium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Parfum, DMDM Hydantoin, Ppg-9.

SalemWitchChild