Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Relocation with new husband

My ex and I have a child together...we broke up a week after our son was born because I found out about him cheating during my entire pregnancy and after I gave birth.

I'm getting married (for the first time) in 2 months, and plan to relocate to my husband's home state where his family resides.

There are no court orders for me and my ex about our child. No Child support, custody etc. Our son has lived with me since he was born, and his father sees him once every 2 weeks or so.

My question is....
Is it easier to win a relocation case if you are married and moving to where your husbands family lives with the child?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (14)
  • I would not tell your ex until u r moved. That way he can't get the courts to stop you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • why would you move the kid so far away from his father? i know you have moved on with another man but your child needs to see his dad. that should be priority. your child comes first. moving to another state might hurt the child.

    Answer by gwen20 at 11:20 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • Depending on your state laws he may have the court make you bring the child back. Just discuss it with him and get his permission to take the child. At the very least find out your state laws. Some only require you tell the parent where the child will be. Some require his permission to take the child across state lines. I tell people to call a local domestic violence shelter and ask them. They know your state laws on this subject

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • I found in my state that I can relocate if I'm filing for relocation and custody in our INITIAL file, which this would be exactly that. I'm only wondering if I would have a better chance of being granted this if I'm married.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • Go throught he court to have his rights terminated! If you simply leave, you could be charged with kidnapping! I'm not kidding. Until the paternal father's rights are terminated, or there's an agreement written up by lawyers, then you could be in very big trouble. Kidnapping is a federal offense.

    Answer by kenzie07 at 11:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

  • If you don't have any custody or child support papers, what difference does it make? Just move and don't tell him and see what happens.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:52 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • I don't want to risk losing my son.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • Is there a a better job waiting for your new DH? Is it a better area? That is the kind of things they will look at, is the child's life going to be better for the move? Also, you can always tell your ex that if he objects to the move, you will take him to court and get child support and have back child support ordered from the day the child was born (plus half of all medical). That's not blackmail, it's simply if he wants equal say in the child, he needs to equally support the child.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 7:00 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • Why'd I get a vote down for advising OP to get legal help? Serious?

    Answer by kenzie07 at 9:42 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • A vote down?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on May. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.