Should I start my 7 month old on milk?

I have a 7 month old baby girl. She gets up at 2:30am for a bottle of formula then she wakes up around six or seven for another bottle, around 11-12 she has some food and a bottle around 5-6 she has more food and a bottle then before she goes to bed around 10-11pm she has another bottle. Now these are 10 ounce bottles of formula every time she eats because she does not get full off anything else i've tried water with food she just looks at me funny and cries and cries for a long time until she get her bubba. Her father had this ingenious idea to give her a bottle filled half with water and half milk. No slowly get off the formula just gave it to her and she took to it rather quickly she drunk the whole 10 ounce bottle and was satisfied. I've heard that if you start babies under 9-12 months on milk they can develop all kinds of health issues. So my question is should i continue giving her at least 50 to 60 ounces of formula a day or should i switch to whole milk?

Luna_Bell

Asked by Luna_Bell at 11:20 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Milk shouldn't be given until 1 year of age. Try supplementing her bottles with baby cereal.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No milk until she is 1.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:21 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Dont switch, there little tummys arent ready yet!! It seems like a real big problem though, talk to your pediatrician, hopefully they can suggest something to help. Good Luck Momma!
    wife_mother1790

Answer by wife_mother1790 at 11:23 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I definately would not give her milk before the age of 1. You could try putting ceral in her bottle. Making it thick...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:29 PM on May. 7, 2011

• ^^^ cereal... sorry I need sleep lol
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:30 PM on May. 7, 2011

• no milk! you could make her some rice cereal...in a bowl..with some formula mixed in. Do not put in a bottle. That is called forced feeding and not good for the baby. Food belongs in a bowl, not a bottle.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 11:37 PM on May. 7, 2011

• No milk at this age. Have you tried giving her bottles a little more frequently, with just a little less in them? Sometimes that helps, smaller amounts more often. 50-60 oz of formula seems like a lot to me, but also keep in mind that I've never used formula, so I'm not totally sure if that's too much. Have you spoken to the doctor? Is she otherwise healthy, growing, gaining weight, meeting milestones, etc?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:58 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I've tried feeding her more often, i've tried the cereal. which i found out that she does not like at all and spits it out at me everything i try and give her some. She is growing perfectly the last time we went to see the doctor which was about a week ago. i'll have to call the doctor and see what to do. Thanks everyone
    Luna_Bell

Comment by Luna_Bell (original poster) at 12:59 PM on May. 8, 2011

• You are feeding her an enormous amount, actually. And that might be the problem. Overfeeding at the bottle can trigger the same kind of reactions as overeating in an adult. Like my husband... never being satisfied with less than TWO Big Macs or a half gallon of ice cream. You can imagine the result.

Do talk with the doc about it. You may need to sneak back the amounts and never mind when she's unhappy about it. The Mom Gig involves constantly making our kids UNhappy.. because it's in their best interst to do things like eat broccoli and clean their rooms and finish homework. And yes, the "unhappy making" process starts at birth.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Don't ever give milk till after 1. It can cause a milk allergy and could be severe.Try other baby foods besides cereal or maybe table food if she's ready. My 8 month old DD won't eat baby food so I put her on table foods and she's doing great with it.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:21 PM on May. 9, 2011