Does your husband not pay attention to the fact that kids are in the room when something inappropriate is showing on TV? adult content

What I mean is sexual scenes. (Like out right nudity and getting it on) He wouldn't watch porn while they were in the room but if he's watching a regular movie or cable and those scenes show up in the movie and the kids are also in the room or even watching the movie he won't turn the channel or tell the kids to leave he just goes on watching like he's the only one in the room. My son is 14 and my daughter is 5 and I don't think they should be seeing this stuff. I always make them leave the room. Also violent scenes I wouldn't want them to see either but my husband is like its just a movie. It makes me angry that my husband has not more care than this. Am I wrong? What would you tell your dh if he did this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on May. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your husband def shouldnt be doing that. I would slap him up side the head! You need to stand firm, and get on his ass about this. They dont need to be seeing all that. I would get disgusted.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:42 PM on May. 7, 2011

• If it bothered me, I'd tell him that it's just not appropriate to expose our children to adult subject matter, and explain exactly why so he knew where I was coming from. If the behavior didn't change, I'd have to think at that point what else to do.

That said, such things don't particularly bother me as a mother.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:43 PM on May. 7, 2011

• I agree...I don't even have on scary stuff like on Chiller..? Nope...during the day it's kid programming or some teen stuff after school.
    Suzi

Answer by Suzi at 11:43 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Oh I hate when they do that you are not wrong I feel the same way I used to curse my sons father out all the time for doing that, he likes the wire and oz and I don't think that's appropriate for a 1 yo
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 11:45 PM on May. 7, 2011

• i see nothing wrong with a scene where people are making love..its part of life. there is no way i would let my 14 yr old leave the room for a love scene or shooting in a movie. full blown porn and showing penetration is completely different than a love scene in a movie.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:47 PM on May. 7, 2011

• he IS the dad, kids are his too....if he doesnt think there is anything wrong with it then he does have imput just as much as you do. I would get mad at him no, but since this is something you are not happy with maybe you can bring it up to him and say Hey babe, I rather them not see that kind of thing on tv. is there a way we can work this out?

If he doesnt see anything wrong with it it might just not be a big deal to him. tell him it is to you and he might do things diff

goodluck
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 11:48 PM on May. 7, 2011

• gwen..you seem to be the hip mom. Hell no!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:52 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It's "hip" not to freak out over some casual, no "dirty bits" exposed lovemaking on tv? I never particularly considered my parents hip, I just thought they were normal, and not helicopter parents. Who knew, eh?
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 11:54 PM on May. 7, 2011

• Its not ok, for a five year old to see that! Are you kidding me? WTH??

tsk tsk

bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:58 PM on May. 7, 2011

• It's not ok for a five year old to see what, breasts? Kissing? Fondling? On tv? It quite clearly said it wasn't pornography, which means no "naughty" bits are showing.

Nope, can't say I see a huge problem. Then again, I'm a nudist. My kids see me naked all day long.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:01 AM on May. 8, 2011