Should we contact authorities or what? *UPDATED*

Ok this might be long & a bit confusing....My best friend & I have this other friend we've both known for years (25+ yrs actually) and she is doing some questionable things. We feel we should go & report her some place but we dont know what to do. Here is what she is doing:
1. She let another person use her kids social security numbers on their taxes to get more of a refund & the other person shared part of the refund with her. (she found she was NOT going to get a refund so she never finished filing taxes for last year)

2. He 15 year old son appears to be in possession of a stolen credit card number. He is ordering stuff up off the net like crazy (shoes, clothes, concert tickets, watches & ordering pizzas all the time). She KNOWS he is doing this. She claims that her son's friend has a long lost dad that reappeared & "let" the friend use the credit card. (which makes no sense to us because if its true HOW is it that HER son has the number?)

3. Her boyfriend has some kind of warrant for his arrest. We don't know for what & she claims neither does he. They happened to look his name up on the dept. of corrections website & it came up he is "wanted/out of custody" & to call a number if you see him. He previously was in prison for forgery.

4. And back to the 15 yr old son...he does drugs. She caught him once in the house. He flaunts the fact he does it all over his Facebook. We think he might be selling them because he has NO money to buy any. She says she thinks his friends are just giving him the drugs..for free (ummm, not likely!)

Side note: nobody over there is working...she's on unemployment. And not much a week. She also has a 16 yr old daughter w/ a baby that is about a year old now. And a 11 yr old son. So we are just concerned that these kids are just getting exposed to the total WRONG ideas. I mean..drugs, buying bunches of stuff with someone's credit card, tax fraud...we also feel like the fact we know about all this means we should morally report it to...somebody! But who? The police? The IRS? Who?

______________________________________________________________

OK so here's what we did:

We went to the police department. They looked at us like we were dumb. They sent us to the sheriff's office. They listened. Wrote some stuff down & basically said "we will look into it".  I called the 800 number & reported the wanted boy friend. Do you think ANYTHING changed? NOPE! Not one thing.  The guys name is STILL up on the website as wanted. I just talked to her today & she's whining about how they have no money & how she might see if her son will get her some drugs to sell just to "get over the hump"! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....yeah being a good citizen means nothing!  Just let the criminals run free!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on May. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• they are parasites in society, what leeches..vicious cycle. start by making a report to the police and call the 800 number . keep us posted...
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:12 AM on May. 8, 2011

• If you are going to report their activities, I would say go to the police with proof.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:58 PM on May. 7, 2011

• do it. these people are a mess yucckkk.....
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:02 AM on May. 8, 2011

• What do you hope to accomplish by telling on your "friend?" Unless you have solid PROOF, you'll only look like a busy-body to anyone you decide to report it...so make sure you can back up your accusations about tax fraud, etc. with documentation.

And consider revising your definition of "friend" if this person isn't conducting herself in a manner you're comfortable with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on May. 8, 2011

• She is NOT the least bit shy about telling us about all of this stuff too! We have both told her that its wrong & she is going to get in trouble. And if she does they will probably take her kids away & her grandchild too. We do not know what kind of credit card it is (like visa, mastercard etc) Last night, the son was walking over to another kids house to pick up a package he had sent there. Seems mighty suspicious to have stuff sent to her house & also to other people's houses to "pick up".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 AM on May. 8, 2011

• We do know the name of the person she said she shared her kids SS numbers with. And the boyfriend, well, we looked that up on the dept. of corrections website & sure enough there it was. His name & a message saying he was "wanted/out of custody" & to call 1-800 number if you know where he is at. We know his birthdate & also he has an unusual name so its no mistake its him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 AM on May. 8, 2011

• sadOMG......what a disaster. How could one family have so many screwed up people in it? Dysfunctional. OMG. I have no advice. I have never known people like that.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:09 AM on May. 8, 2011

• We've all known each other since Jr high. (we are all 40 now). Its just strange how people just go down different paths I guess. Neither of us try to be all up in her business but you see, she brings it to us per say. By telling us. I dont just try to dig in her personal business. She actually asked me before she did it about the tax thing & I told her 100% BAD IDEA! You do NOT mess with the IRS! But, she did it anyhow.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:13 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I would report, off the top of my head idk who I would report it all too, some to the IRS, to the police (espessially about the wanted guy) and to CPS
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:15 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Is the one with the credit card her son? I was confused on that part. Using anybody's credit card without their permission is 1)identity theft, 2) credit card fraud, not to mention the other things. Someone is going to be doing some jail time eventually, and it sounds like she doesn't have a clue. Nobody gives away drugs for free, that's totally insane! Someone will catch on eventually.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:24 AM on May. 8, 2011