PASSY HELP!

hi there, i was wondering if anyone could help me by giving me some suggestions on how to or how they got rid of the passy with there children, my husband and i are wanting to start this mile stone soon with our son.

mommyliby

Asked by mommyliby at 2:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure of his age but with my two older kids (my 2 yr old still HAS to have his), I used icky tasting things like lemon juice, garlic, sauerkraut, etc. The idea wasn't to "strip" them of their pacifiers bacause I think that can sometimes be a little bit truamatic, especially if that is their main form of comfort. But over the course of 2 or 3 weeks I would soak one of them overnight in something yucky. Then the next day we would talk about "Ew, this one is really yucky...maybe we should put it away for now....which actually worked for a few hours. But there was always a spare for severe meltdowns. Each day we would do the whole "Ew yuck, they must be getting old and yucky...maybe we should put it over here for a while". It takes some time but it really helps to talk them through it and it's not so traumatic when it's partially their decision. Good Luck!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 2:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I've just started this process with my 13 month old. I only let her have it for naps and bedtime. It absolutely does not leave the crib. I think we parents rely on the pacifier more than the child does. I do know that it comforts her and that is why I allow it for sleep. I do plan to have her 100% pacifier free in a month! Sounds scary to me! haha You just have to set guidlines and stick to them. Don't give in to your child or he/she won't learn. It's hard for me to not let her have it but she is doing fine. I knew we had to get rid of it when she started talking with it in her mouth and we couldn't understand her. Not happening!
    Good luck! And remember, BABY STEPS.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 4:01 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My kids were older when we finally took the paci away (3 and almost 2). I gathered up all the pacifiers I could find and cut the tips off. Then I put them on the table for them to find. I told my oldest that "The Binky Fairy" came because she was too old for her paci and cut off the end. She cried for a minute and that was it.

She did get a little confused about the story I told her, probably got it mixed up with something she was taught at her Methodist daycare that day. She told everyone for weeks that Jesus chewed up her binky.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took my son's away at 10 months. He only took it at naps and particularly fussy moments, so I just picked the easiest nap of the day and didn't give it. He went straight to sleep without it, so I never gave it back. IMO, if the child is off the breast and/or bottle, he probably doesn't really need a paci either and can do just fine without it! If he's too young to have a name for it, you can probably take it away with no fanfare at all. An older child will require some explaining and convincing!
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2008