30 weeks pregnant, can I use a heating pad on my back?

I am in terrible pain and have been all day long :( I dont know how to explain how it feels, besides horrid. Most of the pain is in my right side, and lower back. A bit of pressure in my private... I have no idea, but it has not stopped hurting in about 9 hours. I took some tylenol which eased it... but barely. I took a shower (no bathtub available to me right now) and it helped until the warm water ran out... if I should not use a heating pad...do you have any other pain reliving ideas? Im about ready to freak out :(

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 12:19 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Ice is a MUCH better pain reliever then heat any day!! Use and ice pack for 20 minutes... let the area re-warm to the same temp as the rest of your back then ice again. Heat and Icy Hot do not kill pain, where as icing does. Heat can often exacerbate the pain, and is most effective when trying to stretch a large muscle group. Icy Hot makes your skin tingle and releases trigger points so you can get a good stretch, again not treating the pain!! LBP could be caused by many things while pregnant so a call to your doc in the morning would be wise!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:44 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Yes, you can.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 12:27 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Heating pads are fine, yes. Just don't use it too long as it can cause contact burns on the skin. Won't impact your child, but it'll hurt a bit.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 12:30 AM on May. 8, 2011

• BUMP!

I know you're not supposed to do anything that will raise your body temp when you're pregnant, like hop into 100+ degree water, do I imagine that a heating pad on your mid-section would be a no-no, too.

What about putting Icy Hot on your pain?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:24 AM on May. 8, 2011