Why are people so hung up on "proper gender" categorization?

Name a boy Meredith, you've doomed him for life. Let a girl play with cars, she'll be a "dyke". Let a boy wear a dress, and you may as well buy him "his and his" towels for his wedding to his lover Ted.

Don't put your little girl in pink, or someone may just mistakenly call her a boy, and you know that is going to ruin her little one year old self esteem, and next thing you'll find her purging over a toilet.

One would think, listening to people, that all the worlds ills come from not putting boys and girls into their proper "roles" the moment they escape from the uterus.

bishopblack

Asked by bishopblack at 12:41 AM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just bought a carseat for my son. It's pink. And it was $30 cheaper than the exact same model in black.

Husband was supportive as was grandma.

Let's see how many people will think he's a she...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:54 AM on May. 8, 2011

• LOL.ohhhhhh I miss coming on here!!! Gezzzz.....But as for pink and blue, did ya'll know it used to be pink for boys and blue for girls??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:04 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I named my Daughter Quinn Cameron and apparently she has a boys name... Crap. Have I doomed her for LIFE?

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I believe it's less dooming to name a girl with a boy's name, but indeed, you've certainly hampered her. My condolences.
    bishopblack

Comment by bishopblack (original poster) at 12:46 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't know....a little too much drama here? I think so.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:47 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Is there a less sarcastic way you would prefer me to pose questions? Because I'll be honest, I haven't the faintest idea how to go about that.
    bishopblack

Comment by bishopblack (original poster) at 12:48 AM on May. 8, 2011

• because people their child to be a sterytype child. if you have a boy then they love cars trucks dirt and the color blue
    if you have a girl she loves dolls rainbows dresses pigtails and the color pink ( or purple )
    i mean other than EVERY mom thinks their child shits out fucking gold, what would this world come to if we let our children be who they want to be and LET them do things that made THEM happy?

not saying ALL parents are like this, im not and im suure there are a ton more that arent but i do see where you are comming from. i think its fucked up too.

i guess to each their own

lets all make our children society's robots
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 12:50 AM on May. 8, 2011

• drama? ON CAFE MOM? NOOOO! you have got to be kidding!? were just all women who happen to be on our periods every second of every day...funny because i am sure most of the drama here would never be said to someone to their face =) us moms can be some catty two faced bitches

maybe one day cafe mom will offer tampons and meds....hmmmm
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 12:54 AM on May. 8, 2011

• It's because society has programmed us that way.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:53 AM on May. 8, 2011