First food...

Is it really necessary for rice cereal to be the first food? Can't I give her something like avocados or bananas instead? Rice cereal is high in carbs, which breast milk provides plenty of. And it seems like rice cereal is lacking nutritional value and is just empty calories....????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldnt do avocados i heard something about them not being good when you are young like that or something and something about people have allergic reactions to them .. but i agree with you.

i dont really plan on MAKING my daughter eat rice cereal, bananas sound good, or like applesauce...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• cereal is recommended because its easier for the baby to digest but if you dont want to give it wait until the baby is atleats 6 m to give something like bananas or avocados
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Question Asker -----> I know not to give her anything like that until she is six months old. Babies shouldn't even have rice cereal until they're six months old. I've read that for breastfed babies, bananas are a good starter food because it's sweet like breastmilk and they're more likely to accept something that doesn't taste completely unfamiliar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thats a good Q...I wonder why they reccommend rice cereal as a starter food?...hmm...Well, if you don't want to do that, then I don;t see why it would hurt her. Bananas are pretty bland and easy to digest. That would help her get the hang of the spoon thing. What about the oatmeal cereal or mixed as opposed to the rice? THe only reason I say that is because it would be mixed with BM and might be more familiar to her taste, like the other mom said...Anyway, whatever you decide...good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No, you do not have to use rice cereal, especially if you are waiting until baby is 6 months old. You can use any of the Gerber first foods or cereals. We started with sweet potatoes.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Rice cereal is not necessary. We started with pears (just because I was eating one and she wanted some and she was 6 months) and sweet potatoes.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No, it is perfectly fine to start with a fruit or veggie. I'm glad you are also planning to wait until at least 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Rice cereal isn't high in nutritional value. However, it is a good starter food because it can be made very thin and then thicken up as your child gets used to eating off a spoon and not sucking. You can also make it with breast milk. It's more a practice food than anything.
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 9:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• yea i agree with robinalbright, it is recomended and its easier for them to digest, i really would also wait till 6 months for the avacodos, and bananas..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 10:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I gave my daughter bananas at 3 1/2 months and now she is eatting food number 2 foods and is 5 months she hate the rice and our doc siad to go ahead and try other foods just to keep an eye on her. she is a health 5 month old 14poiunds 9 ounces 27 inches
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 10:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2008