Am I just ungreatful and selfish?

I told my DH what I wanted for Mother's Day (a bottle of perfume), but I knew he didn't get it for me because I saw the debit reciept the other day and the amount he spent wasn't the amount of the perfume.

So at midnight he gave me my Mother's Day present since I have to work in the morning and he got me a $10.00 itunes card that can only be used on HIS iPod, and a movie from the $5 bin at Walmart...(I already have his Father's day gift, a Tom Tom GPS and the $50.00 update card that goes with it.)

This happens for every holiday. Last year for Christmas he bought me a Venus razor and the refills and said to me "Your old one looked kinda rough last week when I used it.". For my birthday he got me a $10.00 Walmart gift card. I work at Walmart 40 hours a week...so I feel that was an easy, safe gift.

I know its not what you get, but the thought that counts...but there was no thought here. Am I just being a d-bag?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• No. He is scraping by doing as little as possible while still getting you a 'gift'.
    Take the tom tom back and stop giving him nice things. Do something equally little as he does for you, or do nothing. Just tell him that you were following his lead on gift giving.
    Is he stingy emotionally too? Is he generous in bed? Some people are not givers in any area of their lives. and some just dont give to you. I had a husband like this once. He just didn't want to give to ME....
    ferrellmt

Answer by ferrellmt at 2:20 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I think he is being lazy. My husband cleaned out the garage for Moms day. I want a dyson, but that is not in our budget (that should be a curse word.) LOL I am happy he cleaned out the garage

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:37 AM on May. 8, 2011

• im sorry! I don't think you are being selfish! It IS the thought that counts and he put NO thought into your gifts! I would have rather gotten a picked flower or something that was at least nice!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:39 AM on May. 8, 2011

• You are not selfish. You even TOLD him what to get you! It would be different if you didn't tell him what to get, but you told him...hes the selfish one because obviously, you've put thought into your gifts because you already have his fathers day gift. No lovin' for him for a while I'd say. If my husband did that crap to me, I would make him sleep on the couch till he acted right.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 3:29 AM on May. 8, 2011

• You aren't being selfish at all-tell him you're gonna take a "mothers day" at least for a couple hours and MAYBE he'll plan the real mothers day surprise-oh how that perfume would smell nice. He's the one being selfish.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 3:48 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i agree that he hasn't put any thought into your gift, but in his defense maybe he isn't the gift giving type? Is he generous in other way in your relationship, like ferrelmt said, does he spoil you in other ways? My husband sucks at giving gifts. I have to remind him about things like my birthday and Mother's day. He knows now that a safe bet is flowers, so that is usually what i get for every gift. But he is thoughtful in other ways, he helps me with laundry every week, gives me time off from the kids and is affectionate.
    Maybe talk to you husband about it, men are not mind readers. Tell him you are upset and ask him why he feels they are appropriate gifts.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:33 AM on May. 8, 2011

• YOU MADE a SUggestion that ok
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:54 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I think when he hears you he hears it as a maybe get me this I would tell him what you wanted and take it back and get it. The 10 dollar gift card is for his Ipod I would give it to him and say you must have bought this for you and or take it back and get what you want.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:41 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Would you rather he get you nothing at all? I see posts all the time about women being upset because their SO didn't put enough thought into something....if you want the perfume that bad, go buy it...Some men aren't that great in the gift giving department. My hubby and I do not even exchange gifts anymore...it's the small things... we put more thought into what we do (well most of us). If his lack of ability to give you a "good" gift is going to get you upset, then agree on not getting each other anything at all.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:49 AM on May. 8, 2011

• that is a buch of shit if you ask me. you deserve better.take what you got him back.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 12:11 PM on May. 8, 2011