Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How far in advance do I have to notify courts?

I'm planning to relocate within the next 3 months with my son and new husband. (my ex is my son's father, we had never been married.)
I'm planning to go to the court with my Parenting Plan and Relocation Notice...this will be our VERY FIRST time filing anything in court, and there is no custody officially determined, but I basically have full physical custody.

Question is, since this is our initial custody agreement, do I have to file 6 months in advance for the relocation part of the form?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Not sure, You could google Relocation/ application rules etc and possibly get some answers otherwise call an attorney.

    Answer by LeJane at 2:48 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • it can be a long process but if both parties are in aggreement it should be smooth sailing.......
    my husband went though the same thing with his ex, she couldnt move out of state without getting his agreement first there was no child custody order at this time but it did not make any differance both parents had rights she could not just leave it would class as kid napping.
    it took 7month before the papers were finalized,
    1. both parties have to agree
    2.visitation and who pays for the travel to and from
    2b. all hoildays have to be my husand as even number years she has odd years, xmas, easter and thankgiving.
    3.child support its standed with any custody order wealther u want it or not.
    4. whats best for the child,

    First you need to file for custody, once thats done u then file for relocation/modifcation of order......i would go to the courts self help center in your area to see what u need to do.

    Answer by gem05 at 3:08 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • what state to u live in? Do u know whether or not your state has "common law"?? I

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:32 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • common law marriage? yes. Colorado

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • I would file in advance just to make sure you have enough time...It takes a long time to get through family courts.

    Answer by laird6372 at 6:56 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • As fastest you can. You keep the copy and go on.

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:53 AM on May. 8, 2011

  • Listen, been going through a divorce for almost 3 years now! If you have never been in court before and there is no custody schedule , you can leave ! Without notice! Get your son adjusted and settled ! If he files, simply say, you are in agreement with your ex and it's to Kate and hard on your son to move back because he has already adjusted.

    Answer by Helen2004 at 1:42 PM on May. 8, 2011

  • I would do it as soon as possible.If dad doesn't want you to move,he has to have enough time to file an answer and get a court date.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 5:55 PM on May. 8, 2011

  • when u go to court and files these motions of wanting to move, the father will get notice of this by letter and a possible phone call. If his name is on the birth cert, he has the right to file partial custody, and then with this, he will have to pay child support although he should be doing that now. If u do decide to just move, there could be an issuie later if the state u are living in now wants the dad to pay up, or u seek the child support, here are a few things to remember, if you move into a state where support is more than the state you're leaving, you could be labeled a gold digger by the father which could lessen your support. He can always say he wanted visititation and now can't becuase you move without notice. Best bet, talk to him see what he has on his mind and then act on that.


    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:19 AM on May. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.