Have you/would you become ordained as a minister?

A friend on facebook the other day shared a link to his official certificate that he was an ordained minister of Dudeism.

There are a lot of non-mainstream religions that offer online ordination, which is perfectly legal in many states regarding the power to perform legal marriage ceremonies (where the minister signs the marriage paperwork). Some states, however, require that you have an active congregation (for the purposes of performing marriage ceremonies and signing the related documents).

I guess if you didn't care about the ability to perform ceremonies or not, it might be neat to be able to say that you are ordained, although you probably couldn't put that on a resume if you didn't want to give potential employers unnecessary information about your religious beliefs and practices.

For mainstream religions, the ordination process usually involves some sort of formal training or even a degree from an institute of higher learning, at which point you're probably going to be putting that information on a resume because you're probably going to be pursuing a career in the field.

Are any of you mommies also ministers, priests, or anything along that vein? Did you go through a formal training program, get ordained through a website, or does your chosen faith not require anything formal?

AmourSpork

Asked by AmourSpork at 2:00 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I'm an Orthodox Jew. I have more important roles to fulfill as a woman than become a rabbi.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:42 PM on May. 8, 2011

• No, I'm Catholic. Women cannot be priests. I'm on the fence on whether that would be a good thing or not.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:04 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm not, but I would love to be. If I ever do, though, I'd want to go through some sort of training, and not just print off a certificate from the internet, even if it is legal and all. I want to feel like I really accomplish it, like I really "earn" it. I'd love to someday be ordained in some kind of Universalist church..... That's my greatest dream. The fall back, and what I'll most likely end up doing, is going into social work....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:27 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I already am an ordained minister.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Sorry I missed the second question... No, there wasn't any training for the ordination, but I didn't do it until after I was able to take the title of priestess... This was I am now able to do legal handfastings/weddings rather than simply symbolic ones.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh, and the ordination process in Orthodox Judaism implies years of study in a yeshiva (a religious school). No one can do it over the Internet.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:43 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm not ordained, but I think it would be cool to do it. I don't plan to perform any ceremonies or start a congregation so I'm not sure that I'll bother though . My husband is ordained (through Universal Life Church), and has actually performed a couple wedding ceremonies for friends. His father was a minister for a short time, and has a doctorate in theology, so he spent many years preparing for a career (he now teaches computer science and theology at the university level).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:44 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Both my hubby and I went through Universal Life Church in 2007 to be ordained. It was quick, easy and free. Didn't have to take any classes and were are legal to perform weddings.

We did it for the fun of it as we don't have a set religion.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:55 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I am ordained and legal to perform marriages. I was ordained through ULC way back in the mid to late 90's and purchased the designation as a High Priestess. I went it had it validated by my state and have performed marriages for a variety of people. This was all before I converted to Islam though. After that I really didn't perform any more marriages I only did one for my cousin. I still retain my liscense from the state and it does not expire nor do I need an active congregation to keep it but that could just be MN. I have also taken several of their distance learning courses some were more interesting than others. I did however also complete the traditional High Priestess Training (3 levels of 1 year and a day training under the direction of a high priestess in a coven) prior to obtaining that. I did that through the college of the Crystal Waterfall but they since went under and the program migrated somewhere else.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 10:27 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would not be ordained because I don't think it is Biblical for women to be ministers (for those who don't know, I am a Christian).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:20 PM on May. 8, 2011