How do you feel about gift exchange.

I am the token Christian in my family. Therefore I get to host the festivites. We have always had a gift exchange but now my husbands family who are jewish don't want to do a gift exchange anymore. My feelings are that it is my holiday, I get great joy out of shopping for them and I want anyone who is at my house on xmas morning to have a gift to open. Is it wrong of me to buy a gift in the range of $25 so that everyone has a gift under the tree and I have the fun of buying for them?

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 3:41 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Holidays

• No....if they don't appreciate you for that ..well,that's being ungrateful. It really is great fun to give if you can soo-I would just do it! :)
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 6:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think they're being selish but that maybe they have their own reasons for not wanting to this year.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Maybe it makes them feel guilty because they can't reciprocate the favor. I think its great that you do that and its wonderful. Maybe just explain to them that you WANT to do this and to please just let you do it and they don't have to feel obligated to you. A simple thank you very much will be fine. If they just can't accept it, then I would honor their wishes. Don't push your own agenda. Keep the peace at all costs, especially over something that insignificant.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• We don't believe in any higher power, but like you, I agree that I love shopping for and giving gifts...but my SO thinks its a giant waste of money and that we "don't need more junk coming into this house". I really can't disagree with him on that...it is a little wasteful because we really aren't needing anything...and neither are most of the people we buy for...but I do it anyway because I like buying things for someone they wouldn't buy for themselves and of course I love all of the festivities that go along with it. If his entire family asked wanted to not do a gift exchange, I probably wouldn't push the issue even though I love the gift giving...but that said, my side of the family would still do it, so I would get my "fix" somewhere.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't like obligatory gift exchanges at all. If someone wants to give a gift it should be out of spontaneity and one should not expect reciprocation. I don't do the 25th and you already know that lovie. But what you are talking about isn't really an exchange since they are boohooing but rather one person who enjoys and wants to give to everyone who attends. If it were me personally I would go ahead and get those special things you thought of and send them all now as a because I love to... or save them and send them sporadically over time like when you know someone is having it rough and would benefit from knowing how much love and thought you have for them. Sheesh im not much help unless you like more confusion. Haha

sadsmile

Answer by sadsmile at 10:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• well if they're jewish then they would do hanakua (sp) so why not talk to them about you giving them your gift during that time?
    raven1114

Answer by raven1114 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2010