A Lack Of Reality On Television...

I don't know what is wrong with moms on commercials? I just saw this woman on a Wonder Mop commercial and she was mopping a sparkling clean kitchen when her son and their golden retriever come running through the kitchen with their feet (and paws) caked in mud. The mother smiles indulgently before going over and mopping up the mud from the floor. In reality, if a child did that then he would be drug outside by his hair and forced to take off his shoes and then he would be handed a sponge and a bucket of water and told to get scrubbing while the dog got locked in the garage for the night.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:35 AM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL, my kids could only hope to get off that easy. I'd probably make them scrub the floor with a toothbrush.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:51 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree with you 100%, OP. Of course, my kitchen floor is anything but pristine because it's crumbling and needs to be replaced, but if I had a nice floor like the one on that commercial (and I know the one you're talking about) I would probably react in the manner in which you've described, not like the commercial mom. Commercials aimed at women show us as complacent with our housekeeping and mothering duties in spite of overly bratty children and idiot husbands because the product has made it all kinds of easy and effortless (gag) whereas commercials aimed at men convince them they can have bikini clad supermodels, a longer phallus, and better hair because of the product in question.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:02 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I love the one where the husband is building a volcano with his daughters and spills vinegar all over the counter. The husband shrugs like "Uh oh, I done it again!", the daughters laugh like "Daddy's an idiot!" and mommy smiles like a stepford wife and cleans it up with magical paper towels. This is why I don't have a husband. They house stays cleaner with a two year old in it then it would with hubby. My daughter did that once though, running through the kitchen with muddy shoes when I had just finished mopping it. I gave my two year old a rag and told her to clean it up.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:30 AM on May. 8, 2011

• LOL! I wish cleaning braught me that much joy too! lol My children woul get dragged outside too, and if I had a husband..you better believe he would get he same punishment! lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 6:50 AM on May. 8, 2011

• agreed!!! there is a commercial on tv and it's about "cool lunchboxes" or something of that sort... it has a lady as the host "Judy Smith" under her name says "COOL MOM" lmao... i'm like. are you serious.... and i just guess the judy smith btw.
    feliciouss626

Answer by feliciouss626 at 8:53 AM on May. 8, 2011

• LOL. Well hey, if they showed how well the product REALLY works, they'd never sell it. I like the one where the child spills nearly an entire glass of milk on the floor and good ole mom, smiling of course, wipes it ALL up with one small paper towel. They really should put a "don't try this at home" message in the middle of it. Anyone remember the early sitcoms? Leave It To Beaver; Ozzie & Harriet; Father Knows Best. In those, everyone lived in a beautiful big house with a nice yard in a great neighborhood; Dad had a great office job; mom always looked like she'd just walked out of the beauty parlor & all problems no matter how large were resolved inside the half hour the show was on. Bratty kid's weren't ever really punished & siblings all pretty much adored & helped one another. The "perfect" life & family has always been alive & well on T.V. in one form or another. If life was really like that, we'd all be bored to tears.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:04 AM on May. 8, 2011

• yes i rember those show and think they are reruns on the nick at night channel.......i made snide comments to my ex about them all the time......like "i'm not donna reid so get over it"...(could be why he's the ex)......but i hate those commerial/shows.....it like really try filming a real mom......got love dvr's you just fastward stupid commerials
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:54 AM on May. 8, 2011

• That's why I love "Roseanne" There was no perfect family life with them. Mother rarely wore make up, the family was always struggling financially, daddy worked construction and changed jobs multiple times, mom worked in a factory, and changed jobs a few time, the oldest daughter eloped with a jackass who was dumb as a stick, the middle daughter dropped out of school, went to collage, and got knocked up and married, the younger son was a brat, one grandmother was in a mental hospital, the other grandmother was a lesbian, the aunt was a nut, both sets of grandparents were divorced, dad cheated on mom, and they had a gay friend. Now that is reality.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on May. 8, 2011

• lol! omg this post just made my day! thank you! if only we could put this post on a billboard for all to see........
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 8:50 PM on May. 8, 2011

• or air freshener commercials...just plug it in and your house will just be COMPLETE! smiling children, happy husband, spotless house. not a care in the world...just plug it in!
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 8:56 PM on May. 8, 2011