Have I lost it? like NUT HUT lost it?

this is the week I'll find out if my son is passing or failing kindergarten. The teacher is "unsure" so he's have some one on one time w/ the principal who will then make the ultimate decision. My in laws (and hubby) have basically told me it's my fault if he fails. So I've been avoiding my son like the PLAGUE to not stress him or influence his upcoming meeting w/ the principal. ... my concern is if he does in fact get held back that my guilt will consume me. I made a sick threat to myself that if he fails I'd sooner kill myself than have to tell him. I will be brave and not hit the anon button.....

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:39 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Why would your DH and in-laws say something like that to you? How is it your fault? What sorts of problems is your DS having in school? I can't imagine what would cause a child to fail kindergarten that wasn't disability-related. In kindergarten, I slapped my teacher and threw tantrums. I still passed. I hope that your DS does well, but I don't see why people are indicating that his educational shortcomings are a direct result of your parenting, based on the information you've provided.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:55 AM on May. 8, 2011

• its not your fault . there Meany reasons a kid gets held back but i fail to see HOW it could be your fault sounds like your dh need someone to blame, if your to blame so is dh and i like to add i have bad dyslexia if your son has a disability its no ones fault he was prob born that way i was

if your worried about you son if you giv me more info i can try to help you find ways to help him, i think you maybe depressed and need someone to talk to . your son need a suportive mother who no mater the out come will help him . every child learns there own way please email me and tell me what he finding hard and i will do my best to help

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:06 AM on May. 8, 2011

• That is so mean of them to say that...Just pray for the best and do not let them get to you. GL
    My ds was having problems too in kindergarten the teacher said he was not meeting kindergarten expectations...wtf? My dh took care of it and was passed now he is in the 4th grade...so don't take it so hard just continue to do your best for your son.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:07 AM on May. 8, 2011

• my fault = I'm a SAHM and didn't do enough phonics, should've sent him to head-start instead of a private preschool, didn't follow suggestions for homework given at the mid-year parent/teacher conference, and about 50 more reasons.

his failing reasons are simply reading related. his math, socialization, behavior, etc are all perfect. they did provide testing to make sure he doesn't have any learning disabilities and he's all clear. just slow. or slow-er in a very fast class and accelerated curriculum. Mother in law has convinced hubby if I'd read to him more, bought more workbooks, trips to library, etc we wouldn't be in this awkward position now. I am likely to find out by Wednesday and it feels like cancer weighing me down. I'm in a panic, in a frenzy. I cannot look at him, I don't want to be near him. I want his meeting with the principal to be casual and untainted by my disress
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 4:11 AM on May. 8, 2011

• ok i'm from the uk so what is he 6 hows his spelling ? i am not saying there anything wrong with your son but my mum could have worked with me night and day i still be dyslexic its a brain deformity so ok maybe reading a simple book a few times a week will be good for you son few tips

use a ruler under the line he reading to keep him focuses

sound out the words example caterpillar cat-er-pil-er

make it fun do one page to him one to you

read anything with him . sign , tv ect

these are dyslexic tips but they work for any kid

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:25 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i'm not saying he dyslexic but here some info
    The symptoms of dyslexia can differ from person to person, and each person with the condition will have a unique pattern of strengths and weaknesses.
    Preschool children
    Possible symptoms include:
    * delayed speech development in comparison with other children of the same age
    * speech problems, such as not being able to pronounce long words properly and ‘jumbling’ up phrases - for example, saying ‘hecilopter’ instead of ‘helicopter’, or ‘beddy tear’ instead of ‘teddy bear’
    * problems expressing themselves using spoken language, such as being unable to remember the right word to use, or putting together sentences together incorrectly
    * little understanding or appreciation of rhyming words, such as ‘the cat sat on the mat’, or nursery rhymes
    * difficulty with, or little interest in, learning the letters of the alphabet
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:28 AM on May. 8, 2011

• arly school years

Symptoms of dyslexia in children who are 5-7 years of age include:
    * problems learning the names and sounds of letters
    * spelling that is unpredictable and inconsistent
    * problems copying written language
    * poor phonological awareness
    Poor phonological awareness
    Phonological awareness is the ability to recognise that words are made up of smaller units of sound (phonemes) and that changing and manipulating phonemes can create new words and meanings.
    A child with poor phonological awareness may not be able correctly answer the questions below.
    * What sounds do you think make up the word ‘hot’ and are these different to the sounds that make up the word ‘hat’?
    * What word would you have if you changed the ‘p’ sound in ‘pot’ to a ‘h’ sound?
    * How many words can you think of that rhyme with the word ‘cat’?
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:29 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Word attack skills
    Young children with dyslexia also have problems with ‘word attack skills’. This is the ability to make sense of unfamiliar words by looking for smaller words, or collections of letters, such as ‘ph’ or ‘ing’, that a child has previously learnt.
    For example, a child with good word attack skills may read the word ‘sunbathing’ for the first time and gain a sense of the meaning of the word by breaking it down into ‘sun’, ‘bath’, and ‘ing’.
    Middle school years
    Symptoms of dyslexia in children who are 7-12 years of age include:
    * slow reading speed
    * problems with the correct spelling of words
    * problems understanding and recognising new words - for example, children with dyslexia may have problems with school subjects that introduce them to technical terms, such as science subjects
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 4:31 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm pretty sure I couldn't read till first grade... Try not to worry if he does end up failing. So what if people think you didn't pick up enough books with him. Being held back isn't that bad, he just redoes the school year then gets to move on. Instead of thinking it as repeating kindergarten think of it as a pre first grade class. I also think avoiding him is going to make it worse. He's going to wonder why mommy doesn't want to be with him and think he did something wrong. GL
    ibelayni

Answer by ibelayni at 5:18 AM on May. 8, 2011

• How do you fail kindergarten?
    Wtf is going on with schools nowadays?
    I didn't even speak english when I was in kindergarten and I moved on..
    I'm 100% positive I couldn't read in english decently until about the 2nd grade..
    I'm sure theres nothing wrong with your kid, he might just be having a hard time right now, keep in mind that not every kid moves at the same pace. Maybe the teacher doesnt like him?

I would argue the case. Children should not get left back in kindergarten..you learn colors and sharing for christs sake!
    I would flip shit!
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:34 AM on May. 8, 2011