How do you deal with in laws who always lecture you about how you are suppose to spend your own money?

My husband has a small family and always like to visit his grandmothers for vacation. She never fail to lecture us about how they got ahead and makes us feel really awkward.

filmom2ethan

Asked by filmom2ethan at 3:41 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Holidays

• Just agree then let it go...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:01 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Listen to their stories about the past. Tell them how interesting you find it. Acknowledge that times have sure changed and tell them, "I appreciate your concern and input, but DH and I are okay doing things our way."
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:05 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh grandparents! LOL I know my grandparents like to go on and on about somethings. I sit there pretend to listen because I heard the same lecture about 100 times and tell them "okay got it!"
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:51 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I so agree with all of there answers so far. Just listen -it doesn't mean you can't formulate your own opinion. What worked in the past may not be best for you now but it does pay to listen though. Widens your options if anything.

Good luck!
    Liveyourlifeval

Answer by Liveyourlifeval at 6:56 AM on May. 8, 2011

• As the others said.......just listen. They may actually have some good advice. This doesnt mean you have to take there advice. But it may come in handy some day :). Times were different when they were young. Im betting they didnt buy alot on credit. Paid off loans quickly as they could and had a savings account where money was actually saved.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:42 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Well, it IS his grandmother, so you kind of have to show a little respect and listen to her. Doesn't mean you have to follow her 'rules' or suggestions, just that you need to hear her out. Nod and smile, don't argue, and it will be over much sooner than if you try to tell her you're going to do it this way and whatever. Trust me, I know, I grew up with my Grandmother, and now she is still a big part of my life. Sometimes I find very useful info in the things she tells me, sometimes not, but I know she's only trying to help me out of love and concern for me and my family. Be grateful that she cares enough about you guys to offer you her advice and opinion!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:57 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I understand you , my mother-in law is the same way with me here. If I need some thing fixed in the house she saids no don't call a plummer ,they are too much money. tell your husband and see what he can do. I tell her I need something replaced , like my oven, she saids no you don't it still works some what., it's too much money. I tell her that the family is going away on vacation ,she gives me this long face. . But i don't care we still go. I mean I still get the things I need fixed or replaced. I ask my husband are we able to afford to be doing this. and he saids yes. So I don't really let what my mother in law saids get to me. and do what I want anyway. Although the next time she sees me and finds out I did it anyway she looks at me with an angry face and gives me shorts answers when I talk to her. But I say to her you know what I don't care you do things your way and I ll do things my way.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:36 AM on May. 8, 2011

• tell them to mind their own business you know how to handle your money and are doing just fine. thank them for their advice and then tell them that it is between you and your SO/DH as to how and where you spend your money
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:55 AM on May. 10, 2011