Help! My newborn hasn't defecated in about a day and a half. He's very uncomfortable, hasnt been able to sleep all night. any advice? please!

Asked by RosaClown at 4:12 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a three year old and a 12 week old and their Pediatrician told me with both of them (both have stomach issues) to give them one ounce of apple juice(not watered down) a day and to see if that helps if not to get the childrens suppositories and to cut it in half long ways and to use that...Its always helped! If you don't feel comfortable doing so I would reccomend calling your childs Pediatrician...Hope your baby feels better soon!!

Answer by onthegomommy415 at 4:42 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I'd start with a bath, lots of naked time, tummy time, and a belly massage. Juice = possibly not.... what do you mean by NEWBORN? I'd get the ok from the on call nurse before trying something like that

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:03 AM on May. 8, 2011

• do the bicycle exercise with him have baby on back and gentle push each leg up toward tummy like when you ride a bike, this helps move the intestine, dont wait much longer till you at least call the DR. always better to be safe then sorry. while the juice n suppository are things that can work I would call the Dr. before giving anything. Happy Mothers Day..........hope the Lil Guy goes soon

Answer by wyattgrace at 8:30 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Need more information. Age? Diet? When was the last time he went, and what was the consistency of the stool?

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:14 AM on May. 8, 2011

• how many weeks, and ff or bf?

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• this happened to us too, when baby was only a few days old. we called the pediatrician and she said to use the rectal thermometer and just get things a little stimulated so it helps them go easier. our thermometer came with plastic covers, so we used those. it worked for us. good luck!

Answer by flamingomegs at 8:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• How old is your child? How are you feeding? If formula feeding you may need to switch to a different one. You can take a rectal temp that sometimes helps stimulate things. Depending on their age I would call your doctor and see what they suggest.

Answer by mommytobrooke at 12:50 PM on May. 10, 2011