What would you do if you kid was being bullied? do you teach them not to bully others?

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 5:11 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Bullying is out of control!!!! Kids r committing suicide!!!! It has to be stopped!!!! Bulliers now get jail sentences in some states. Schools today do not want to so their jobs to stop it. They ignore it instead!!! This problem is nationwide!!!! Someone needs to put a stop to it before any of our kids kill themselves because adults did not want to stop it!!!! Teachers need to be held acountable for the lack of action!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:13 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I'd start at the appropriate channels.... like in school mediation perhaps. I would take it as far as need be though. In todays society of bullying I'd stop at NOTHING. moving, changing schools, home school, anything to ensure my child was safe. Happy would be nice, too, but safety and education are requirements.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:17 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i would get the cops involved especially if my it got physical. i think bullying is getting out of hand. it is scary how cruel kids could be.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 5:40 AM on May. 8, 2011

• The school don't give a crap that's why you go to the district the distric will chew some ass if the school is allowing it to continue..
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:14 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I have taught my child what to do if he is bullied, and it is definitely something we talk about a lot.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• First, let them handle it on his/her own. If it continues, report it to the teacher. Escalate up the chain of command as necessary. I did this and everything was ignored until finally my son shoved the bully into a windowsill. End of problem.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:16 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would teach my kid to defend himself, verbally, mentally, and physically. Bullying doesn't stop once you've grown up, so you have to learn how to tell someone to fuck off and throw a fist some time in your life! If my sons came home crying because someone called them named or hit them, I would send them back to school the next day and tell them if it happens again you better hit back or talk back because you'll be a whimp and they will always pick on you if you dont. I'm gonna tell it how it is, and not beat around the bush with some counseling bullshit. If your kids a loser, let them know, and try to help them to not be a loser.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 6:58 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I've done a lot of research on this...was involved with a local task force looking into it. There is not much one person can do. When you teach a child to speak out for himself - like stuff that protects against abduction and sexual abuse - you are teaching them it's OK to bully. They don't have the judgement on when it's OK to do this and they bully. From what I've researched, it's the climate that the school administration creates that make it easier or harder for kids to become bullies. And even when everyone is on board, it can take 3+ years for the climate to change.

My best advice is to go through the appropriate channels, especially if this is happening at school - every school has a policy.  If you don't get satisfaction, keep going up the chain of command.  And...you will not be able to find out what is 'done' to the bully due to confidentiality.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:41 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I do not agree with xmama bellax -don't tell your kid he or she is a loser! A parent needs to defend their kid when the bullying starts! Tell the cops,it is illegal!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:15 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Yeah,about that! chica679-The district does nothing!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:49 PM on May. 8, 2011