How do i get my 2 hand a half year old to let ME brush his teeth

my son robb will be 3 in July and he wants to do everything him self he been like this since he was tinny i have 2 bigger step kids who i am raising so my sons see them brushing there teeth and want to be like them . he happy dose his own teeth but at 2 only dose the front. when ever i try to do them he screams and crys and kick and grabs the brush you have to pin down his hands as he screams like you hurting him it terrible

i have to say over the last year + i been such a bad mum that way letting him off with doing it him self  because i was pregnant and to ill to fight with him then had a c-section and was anemic . my son is hyperactive and not a good talker he scream and scream when he dose not get his own way and will bite his hand or bang his head out of anger so when he take a tantrum he can be very hard to handle lashing out with his hands and feet if you try to touch him . he not dose not care about rewords  so a sicker chart would not work i just want to brush his teeth and i don't know what to do . i know him doing his own is not on but i also don't want to give him a fear of his teeth getting dune as he had to be held down please help

p.s i'm dyslexic

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck. All i can say is at the dentist they had me put my kid in my lap and hold her head upside down to get in her mouth.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• let him brush Yours
    Milani_Hunni

Answer by Milani_Hunni at 5:39 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i would start fresh, literally. I highly recommend a spinning brush..... they can just be a lot more fun and get more brushing done fast.

there's a kind that comes blank w/ a pack of stickers he can decorate himself. there's musical ones and ones w/ timers so he knows when to stop.

start fresh w/ a new brush that he chooses and takes ownership of (carries to the check out, puts into a bag, carries to the car) and let him know with this new brush you'll be doing it a little differently. you'll be taking turns. then offer him as many CHOICES as u can come up with to avoid a power struggle. who will brush 1st you or him? which teeth 1st tops or bottoms? which color cup should he use to rinse and spit? will he wipe his mouth with a washcloth or some toilet paper? etc etc ... keep the conversation flowing and let him know after your turn of teeth brushing he can choose his jammies or a book while you clean up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:26 AM on May. 8, 2011

• my sons nothing like that . he want let you do anything for him everything is a big game he runs away . he also ready go to nursery as he hyper to the point its worrying even nursery struggle to do simple things like change his pull up without 2 members of staff chasing him and grabbing him . he not a bad boy he is just hyper and dose everything himself . he wont let you put his jacket on he dose not want carried or in the buggy he wants to walk even when he so tried his he can hardly lift his feet . we not been able to feed him since he was tinny as from the min he could use a spoon he wanted to do it himself . you cant talk to him as he wont lison or just screams he dose not sit he just run all the time he hardly eats because he so hyper he to busy running about . people keep telling me it will get better as he gets older and starts to calm down but everything is a battle unless he get to do it himself

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:34 AM on May. 8, 2011

• and yes we do time him out and tell him off and take things off him . even nursery i think its like your pre school said its not bad behaviour he is just so hyper

are nuresy starts at 3 till your 5 but kids with prob can go at 2

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:36 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I assume he's been to the dentist by now..... did they have any suggestions? My kids were both 8-11 months old when we started with the pediatric dentist so they never knew anything else. I brush 1st and they brush 2nd..... we tell them it's because mommy does a "terrible job" and they have to get all the spots I missed. It makes them giggle and keeps them compliant. I sing, dance, shake my butt, etc when I brush them. Whatever keeps them happy.

How about in the shower or tub? might he let you then?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:41 AM on May. 8, 2011

• nope bath time involves robb splashing and throwing water everywhere as you try to wash him . he been to the desist a lot and screams and wont open his mouth the dentist normally has a look when he crying lol and says he can see them and they look good thing is my step kids teeth and so clean as i make shore they do it every night so i guess he just thinks robbs will be to . robb just dose not want things put in hi mouth unless he putting them in there and you can reason with him its all or nothing with him and as i said he just runs about 24/7 so nothing i do will keep his attshon trust me we tried everything and so as nursery to get him to hold still nothing works

and i not even started potty tarining for the same reson how do i get him to sit on the potty !! lol i'm begin to think there something rong with him :(

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:49 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i have all said i'm dyslexic so why would you bring up my disability !

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on May. 8, 2011

• wow i cant believe how nasty your being if you don't want to answer me DONT! don't stand there and guess what i can and can not do and for your info I DID USE A BLOODY SPELL CHECK really do you stand around telling people in wheel chairs to get up and walk NO then why comment on something you know nothing about . i hate people like you

do you think i missed school and that's why i am the way i am ? guess what i never i have a brain deformity i have a 127 iq and i was born like this most spell checks cant work for me due to the fact i spell phonetically for every one out there that means spell it like it sounds , oh and I'm Scottish so some of the words such as MUM as spelt right we also have are own subculture of words you may not know !!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Sorry! I couldn't understand anything you typed, so it was an honest mistake! But the reason you're not getting many replies is because people aren't going to sit and try to comprehend what you're typing! They're going to bypass it and move on to the next question! Maybe you can have someone else proof-read it for you and go back to correct errors!

But hence the - Take some time to spell it out, Mama

Even with a disability, I am sure you can tell when you're typo's are and if you TAKE THE TIME you can spell it out correctly! If this is impossible for you, get someone else to help. I am sure with a CLEAR understanding of what you're trying to say, you will have MANY more responses! If you don't have anyone to do that, then copy/paste in Microsoft word. There is a spell checker! You have the ability to clean this up some so it's understandable! Wish you luck!
    Anonymous