I can't understand what is wrong with this. Those of you who disagree, can you explain?

FDR'S WORDS TODAY!60 YEARS AGO CONTINUE TO INSPIRE

On January 11, 1944, in the midst of World War II, President Roosevelt spoke forcefully and eloquently about the greater meaning and higher purpose of American security in a post-war America. The principles and ideas conveyed by FDR's words matter as much now as they did over sixty years ago, and the Franklin D. Roosevelt American Heritage Center is proud to reprint a selection of FDR's vision for the security and economic liberty of the American people in war and peace.

"The Economic Bill of Rights"
Excerpt from President Roosevelt's January 11, 1944 message to the Congress of the United States on the State of the Union
It is our duty now to begin to lay the plans and determine the strategy for the winning of a lasting peace and the establishment of an American standard of living higher than ever before known. We cannot be content, no matter how high that general standard of living may be, if some fraction of our people-whether it be one-third or one-fifth or one-tenth-is ill-fed, ill-clothed, ill-housed, and insecure.

This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights-among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.

As our nation has grown in size and stature, however-as our industrial economy expanded-these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.

We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. "Necessitous men are not free men." People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all-regardless of station, race, or creed.

Among these are:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.

America's own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights haveen carried into practice for our citizens.

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 7:08 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If only Americans knew how good it would be if they werent so fuckin selfish.

I wish all the above mentioned could actually happen..smh
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:22 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I gave you a bump. I wish more people believed in these words.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 7:24 AM on May. 8, 2011

• FDR wanted to replace the bill of rights with this. It wasn't reform at all. It was intended to be a takeover by the government of the responsibilities of every day life, that was to redesign the public's relationship with the government and foster government control. If this is your dream, I suggest you move to Cuba or China.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:57 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Who is going to pay for everyone to be "equal?" While I don't think that anyone, esp children and the elderly, should be homeless or hungry, I do not think that I should be forced to pay taxes so that someone who doesn't work as hard as I do, have the experience and qualifications that I do, or have the motivation to succeed that I do lives as well as I do.
    Example: I know a family where neither adult worked. The wife finally got a job just to keep state aid. A bare min job, nothing extra. The husband refuses to work. Now, they are trying to have another kid so that she doesn't have to work. We pay for all of that. Should they have equal financial standing with me? I work full time, I go to school full time and I would love to have another baby, but I don't because we couldn't afford it because we support our kids in every way. Should you and I pay for them to have what we do vs what they don't? I don't think so.
    lisa37743

Answer by lisa37743 at 8:25 AM on May. 8, 2011

• The problem with most of these is the word 'adequate'. What I find adequate, others will not. I find driving a Ford adequate. I know others that feel that a Ford is beneath them. I find shopping at KMart, Target and WalMart adequate. I know others that feel that they can't be that cheap. The funny thing is--most of the ones that look down at me for my being 'adequate' are on welfare and I have a full time job.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:41 AM on May. 8, 2011

• FDR wanted to replace the bill of rights with this. It wasn't reform at all. It was intended to be a takeover by the government of the responsibilities of every day life, that was to redesign the public's relationship with the government and foster government control. If this is your dream, I suggest you move to Cuba or China. FDR- recognized that everyone didn't start equally- Women, blacks, native Americans, al started with less rights. How can you can you expect us to all have the same opportunities. Most Americans are somewhere between poverty and just surviving. These people who live off tax payers money- Were did they start- did they have simular opportunities? I don't think Government control was the goal. I think humanity was the goal, and should always be.

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 9:06 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't think Government control was the goal. I think humanity was the goal, and should always be.

Humanity was not an issue with FDR government dependency was.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:19 AM on May. 8, 2011

• The right of every family to a decent home;

________

I am just using this one as an example. People do have this right, Make and save your money and you buy yourself decent home.

But don't expect the goverment to buy you a "decent" home.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:33 AM on May. 8, 2011

• FDR understood that in order to prosper as a nation, people needed to be able to obtain work that paid enough to provide for & support their families. I don't think he was saying everyone should be equal, but that everyone should have equal opportunity. Of course back then, people were raised with an entirely different work ethic than they are today. For too many, the idea of things being better for their children, translated into their children shouldn't have to work as hard to achieve the same or better standard of living, as a result, the work ethic that existed back then, began to get lost. FDR also understood that in order to prosper as a nation we needed a strong economy, companies had to exist and provide jobs here. These days, Gov. pretty much encourages companies to do business abroad, which takes jobs & opportunity away so instead of our economy flourishing as FDR envisioned, (cont)
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:43 AM on May. 8, 2011

• we have the opposite. He wanted a strong, independant nation, unfortunatly, we've been moving towards globalization which doesn't and won't allow that.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:44 AM on May. 8, 2011