to send to daycare OR to not send?

My son is almost 2 1/2 years old, and I'm thinking about putting him into daycare maybe two days a week for maybe 3-5 hours, just so he can get to know some kids his age and play, I'm a SAHM so I always have him,I think I'm just afraid of someone being mean to him, and I not know about it. i'm not sure if he would be able to tell me. any other moms going through this, what would be the best thing to do,

momma2hunter

Asked by momma2hunter at 4:02 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am a daycare provider myself and my daughter and my neice were born 11 days apart. I have had her since her mom went back to work. Same thing with my other sisters baby. I was working a part time job and taking care of them at the same time so when I was faced with the situation of either getting a full time job or doing daycare full time I chose daycare only because I could not let them go to someone else because I was afraid of someone being mean to them! Horrible I know! However, since I have been doing daycare my daughter has opened up A LOT! Its wonderful, she even potty trained herself! I would reccommend the day care! GL
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 4:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I th ink it would be good for him and you. You'd get some me time and he'll get socialization.
    jekr43

Answer by jekr43 at 6:08 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I was a sahm for 15 years. None of my children ever even had a babysitter.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:13 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I was just place in the same situation in Oct. I was offered a wonderful F/T position @ the local Hospital. Hubby & I went back & forth about what we should do so we interviewed a few ChildCare centers & found one that would allow my son to come 3 days a wk starting out. We would determine if I took the job based on how our son handled ChildCare. Well w/ amazement our son's 1st Day was rough, but after that 1st day he would be upset when we came to pick him up. Now that he's been in Childcare for the past 2 months he's doing so well.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 6:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• He talks more & is even taken an interest in potty trainning. All I would tell you is to ask as many questions to the center as you like, talk about what you expect from them & get to know the staff. Make sure they have an open door policy. But the most important advice I can tell you is watch your son's actions. If he's excited about going to DayCare then you know he likes it & being treated right. I hope this helps & if you would like to talk more I'm here to help any way I can.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

• Well, i was a daycare teacher so i will def. recommend you to bring your child to the daycare. Kids love other kids. They love to play. socialization is very important for the little ones.

I will def. bring my daughter to daycare.. when she is 2years old :)
    I know it will be the hardest time ever, when you give your child "away" for a few hours. But i know that my daughter will love daycare. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• When my children were small I had them in a formal play group that met once a week. Other moms and I took turn watching and playing with the children. We each had our own specialty, mine was yoga and exercise. Then once a week they were in an informal play group where the moms all had coffee and snacks and watched all the children play. Once a week I took them to the Y for children's programs and to be around other children in a structured situation. This was a very inexpensive way to get the little ones around other children. These days my DIL has my GD in pre-school, it is called, and she is thriving- very well-adjusted and happy. So if you can afford it, then yes, day care sounds good.

Answer by Bmat at 7:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Are there any mothers day out programs around? That could work too. All of the daycares here charge full time rates, even if they are only there 2-3 days. The mothers day out programs are just a couple hours 2-3 days a week. Much cheaper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I've been thinking about doing the same thing once my DD turns 2, especially since we have a new baby coming.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I definately recommend day care. It's a great way to interact. And you *can* find day cares that are hourly or part time rates. Two is a good age. IF you wait much longer, it'll be harder on the child. Not impossible, just takes a little longer to adjust sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Dec. 5, 2008