Need milk to dry up....

Ok so I gave breast feeding a try and it is not working out. I'm not looking for encouragement on continuing but how I can help get my milk to dry up. It is supposed to come in today and the hospital I delivered at does not give you a pill to dry it up anymore. Any tips for getting through this process?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No hospitals or doctors will give you any meds to dry up, I believe that medication was linked to cancer, or some other undesirable effect. Wear a well fitting, supportive bra, you can try the cabbage trick, where you take cold cabbage leaves, break the veins, and place in your bra, and leave them until they wilt, and replace as needed. DO NOT bind your breasts, as this can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. Motrin is fine for the pain, some women feel that icing them for swelling helps, if you need to, you can hand express or pump JUST ENOUGH to be comfortable. Sage is known to dry milk. There is a tea, I believe, called No More Milk.

On another note, if you decide that you DO want to give it another try and need help/advice, please don't hesitate to ask! Even down the line, you can still nurse if you change your mind, just so you know this doesn't have to be your final decision.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm not going to vote down Pearl, as most of her advice is correct, just DO NOT wrap your breasts tightly or wear a tight bra.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 AM on May. 8, 2011

• NO binding of the breasts if you don't want to be in worse pain. Birth control with estrogen will zap supply immediately. YAZ is a known supply killer.

"Dry up" pills have been off the market for many years. They had a side effect of killing women.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 PM on May. 9, 2011

• do not stimulate the nipples at all. this is what worked for me of course my mil is from Mexico she told me what to do and it worked for me. take a cool shower wash off good with soap then put 2 big cabbage leafs on each of your breast and rap them with a bandage or a tight bra will work good to. goodluck
    pearl84

Answer by pearl84 at 9:18 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Just make sure when you shower not to let the water hit your breasts, no stimulation what so ever. If you have a pump and get engorged just pump to release engorgment,(not to empty) wear a sport bra to bed. Good Luck
    momtoonein06

Answer by momtoonein06 at 9:24 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Taking Benadryl can help - but if you're sensitive to it (meaning if it makes you drowsy) don't take it.
    Anonymous