Do Muslims ignore the pagan ties to Islam?

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/The_Pagan_Origins_of_Islam

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:02 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• All religions evolved from earlier faiths and incorporate some of their practices . As true of Chistianity and Judaism as it is of Islam .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:28 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I think the mistake that's being made is that those practices were actually established in Paganism which of course it can actually be proved with many of them that they weren't. Or at least presumed. For example true Islam is considered as coming directly from Adam through the prophets - Abraham etc etc. Many of the practices that are assumed as Pagan in that article were practised by the prophets who Islam claims as it's own and by the people who lived it. For example fasting on certain days, Circumambulation (jericho?) and many other things.

Another thing I'd like to say is that Islam obviously has some of the same practices of Paganism - Paganism is simply a way in which humans live. Muhammad never claimed their entire life was wrong, just WHAT and WHO they worshipped, as far as I understand it. I apologise for anything that I say that is wrong! I'm a bit of a dunce sometimes.

CONT...
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 9:38 AM on May. 8, 2011

• You mean like Christians ignore their Pagan ties? Yeah, of course they do. If they didn't they couldn't claim supremacy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I am a convert to Islam. The facts in that are distorted somewhat on that page but I will not argue them. The religion that existed before Islam in the period of Jahiliyyah has never been denied in the history of Islam nor been ignored. ANY book you buy on the history of Islam and the life of Muhammad WILL attest to every true fact in that article but what it will not do is link the two religions in the way the article has. Before Muhammad his ancestors worshipped many false idols as they had gone off the straight path and into idol worshipping. Just as happened before with the cow.

I will attempt to address every point I can that the article makes so bear with me! Some I will not be able to since of course, I am still learning (who isn't?), but I hope other sisters may come forward who can?
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 9:25 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I WANT you to argue them if you can since the article is presenting them as FACT and you're telling me it's not.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:26 AM on May. 8, 2011

• & no problem IhartU - I'll do my best!
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 9:28 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I understand that they don't deny that it existed, but it seems to me they deny that many of the rituals they observe stem from the pagan ones that existed before Islam. There is historical documentation and evidence for those pagan rituals and the connections are right there in black and white...

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:29 AM on May. 8, 2011

• The crescent moon symbol was not actually 'coined' so to speak by Islam until 1453. It is therefore nothing to do with Islam or the Prophet. It has no real bearing on anything in Islam and is therefore irrelevant as Muhammad when he went into battles or needed to be recognised use only a plain piece of cloth (as far as I know obviously). Innovations to Islam are completely forbidden as Muhammad was give a perfect religion so many say it is not part of it but is purely a cultural emblem. The mosque which I attend does not have it. I could be wrong so don't quote me on any of this, it's just how I see it out of what I've been taught!

Typed it wrong so reposting!

Will answer yourp ost in next response!
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 9:30 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Thaks for the info on the cresent moon. I found this:

It wasn't until the Ottoman Empire that the crescent moon and star became affiliated with the Muslim world. When the Turks conquered Constantinople (Istanbul) in 1453, they adopted the city's existing flag and symbol. Legend holds that the founder of the Ottoman Empire, Osman, had a dream in which the crescent moon stretched from one end of the earth to the other. Taking this as a good omen, he chose to keep the crescent and make it the symbol of his dynasty. There is speculation that the five points on the star represent the five pillars of Islam, but this is pure conjecture. The five points were not standard on the Ottoman flags, and as you will see on the following page, it is still not standard on flags used in the Muslim world today.

For hundreds of years, the Ottoman Empire ruled over the Muslim world. After centuries of battle with Christian Europe, it is unde
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:32 AM on May. 8, 2011

• it is understandable how the symbols of this empire became linked in people's minds with the faith of Islam as a whole.

Based on this history, many Muslims reject using the crescent moon as a symbol of Islam. The faith of Islam has historically had no symbol, and many refuse to accept what is essentially an ancient pagan icon. It is certainly not in uniform use among Muslims.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:33 AM on May. 8, 2011