Do you feel a 9 year old needs?

a computer of their own when it isn't for school it is just a want?

We have a family computer that he has access to he wants a laptop of his own

****If it was for school that would be one thing but just wanting one just to have one is my question******

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:14 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Technology

• Sorry, I went back and read your question after I posted the answer, and it doesn't sound like I answered your question exactly. My answer just based on what you posted is NO, a 9 year old doesn't actually need a computer. If they need to use one to type a paper for school or something, they can use the family computer.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:18 AM on May. 8, 2011

• No, IMO, the family computer is enough. In a central location where you can see her use it.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:26 AM on May. 8, 2011

• No, having computer access in the house is good enough for a 9 yr old.
    Ttcbabyclegg

Answer by Ttcbabyclegg at 9:38 AM on May. 8, 2011

• It depends on the kid. For my 9 year old, NO. She's not computer savvy, and doesn't even have much of an interest in it at all. Plus, because she's so unsavvy , I am constantly worrying about her landing somewhere accidentally that she shouldn't.

Some 9-year olds however, are super computer literate and enjoy spending lots of time honing their techie skills. If I had one of those kids, then I'd certainly consider purchasing a separate computer for him or her, but would still have it out in the open where their usage can be monitored.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:17 AM on May. 8, 2011

• NO
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:17 AM on May. 8, 2011

• No way. My daughter is very computer literate and didn't get one until she was 13.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:23 AM on May. 8, 2011

• it just depends on the child.....all 3 of my kids have laptops 15,13,9 but that because they use them for school but they are monitored very carefuly and they computers arent allowed in bedrooms....you just have to do whats right for your family and your child......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:54 AM on May. 8, 2011

• you can get him a computer without internet access if you want, or one with strict parental controls. However I have to agree, unless it was a school work computer I see no point.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:09 AM on May. 8, 2011