Is this acceptable nowadays? Cavalier use of not very nice words...

Caught a text from my daughter's boyfriend, which said "whoreee", and I said wth is that? She's like "oh we were just calling each other names, pretend fighting" and I said really, it's not exactly funny. And she said "mom, he doesn't really think I'm a whore....people call each other names all the time."...What? Am I just out of it, or is it really disrespectful? This guy just broke up with her last week and made her miserable, and then asked for her back 2 days later. The 5 month relationship has been a bit rocky. A few of her friends told her not to take him back, but she did, alas. Red flags for me, but thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have noticed that alot of teens use the words 'whore' and 'hoe' as if they were pet names. I dont understand why it can be considered playful or even funny but then again I do not understand a lot of the teenagers of today. I personally think its disrespectful.
    momofcac

Answer by momofcac at 9:37 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't think its a huge deal unless its bitch or cunt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't think it is a big deal, I call my friends names which could be considered horrible, but are said with affection.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:56 AM on May. 8, 2011

• its some kinda of pet name thing teenagers are doing these days...my dd 15 (almost 16) and her friends do it all the time on FB and i question them like crazy over it and they say it nothing serouisy they just playing around.......i would just watch her behavior for the next couple weeks and if that changes then be worried....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:00 AM on May. 8, 2011

• The only thing that I know for sure is that there are many teens out there who would never use that kind of vocabulary. Believe it or not!
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 10:08 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh wow! That is not acceptable! I am sorry but i refuse to raise my sons or daughter to think it is ok to verbally abuse another!!! Seriously not even"playing"!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I've noticed it done as pet names as in a joke like manner.. in a lot of my little cousins posts on FB.. (she's 10 years younger than me, and is 16).

I don't really get it.. I know sometimes you joke with others around you when they do something or say something like for example my dad joked "your getting kinda fat there aren't ya" (I was getting bigger because I was pregnant, and he was just joking around). so I joked back "your an a$$". all meant in good fun. I understand that, but not the way some kids are using it mroe and more today.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 AM on May. 8, 2011

•  my sister and I call each other things like whore, skank, hooker. I guess it's not really acceptable to the outside world, but it's our thang.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I dont see the big deal. My husband and me do that to each other all the time in jest and we arent even teens. We have done that since day 1. I will call him and say "Hey ass" and he will say something crude back.

Answer by gemgem at 10:32 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I have noticed that a lot of hurtful terms when we were young are being used as pet names. At first it bothered me, then I started thinking, if kids turned hurtful names into terms of endearment it would take the sting off of them and even what is deemed as "cuss" words are losing there "surprise" affect. Honestly, and it may only be in my dream world, but I would like to see "words" not mean so much...there are words that I do not allow my children to say, but I teach them that they are hurtful words and we do not say hurtful words. I really would like to know who created "bad words" so I could strangle them. I do not go with what is "socially acceptable" I go with what is "morally acceptable for my household"
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:55 AM on May. 8, 2011