HOW CAN I GT A STUBBORN 14 MONTH OLD TO WALK AND TALK?

MY DAUGHTER IS 14 MONTHS. SHE SAIS MOMMY, DADDY, THAT, I DID IT. SHE WONT SAY ANYTHING ELSE THOUGH...... SHE ALSO HAS NO CONFIDENCE IN HERSELF WALKING BECAUSE SHE REFUSES TO. SHE WILL TAKE 2 STEPS AND FALL AND GICE UP. HER COUSINS WHO ARE ONLY 5 DAYS YOUNGER AND TALKING AND WALKING ALL READY!!!

JENNANABBY

Asked by JENNANABBY at 9:43 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Every child does things at a different pace. Don't worry about it, her time will come.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:45 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Dont worry, some children chose to walk at their own pace. My DS walked at 13 months but he didn't talk very much from 13-19 months, I thought something was wrong and I had him evaluated, turns out he just did not feel like talking much. Now he is 3 almost 4 and can carry a conversation better than some adults.
    momofcac

Answer by momofcac at 9:50 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I used to work in day care for 5 years as well as having two of my own. When she falls and gives up..do not pick her up. Just simply leave her in her spot, talk to her to soothe her and then encourage her to get up and walk again. There are those walker toys that she can hold onto and push around the house that kids her age love! So I would look into that. Here is the link to that toy....

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2541349

There are also kids activity tables to where she could pull herself up and play on too to help encourage her to be on her feet in general.

The last piece of advice is patience! Every kids develops at a different pace than another and it sounds like she is right on target!
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 9:53 AM on May. 8, 2011

• my oldest son didn't walk until he was 15 1/2 months old and was lazy about talking too until one day he just starting saying everything, i joke that he was just taking it all in and then one day he was talking up a storm.
    All kids are different that way and she will when she is ready. don't let the pressure of other kids get to you.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:55 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Yea my son didn't walk until 16 months and talked even later so she is doing ok.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 10:10 AM on May. 8, 2011

• at 14 months old, she's not doing bad. Some kids walk early on, some on average (between 11-15 months) and some take a little longer (up to 18 months). It's not really until she's 18 months that if she's not walking, that you may have cause for concern, however she IS technically walking if she's taking even just a few steps. As for words.. that too isn't bad. She may be saying a lot more than you are aware of too you just not be able to fully understand it. Keep talking to her and encourage her to speak and before you knwo it you will be telling her to sit down and be quiet for just one minute lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:22 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Girl, they do stuff at their own pace, like or not. We cannot push them to do stuff they simply aren't ready to do. My granddaughter was all of 3 before she started talking! By the time they all start kindergarten they pretty much are at an equal level. Don't push her so hard and please do not compare her to others. That will only make for her feeling inferior.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:37 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Two of my kids were 14 months old when they began to walk. She will walk when she is ready.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 10:59 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Don't push her, she is still on time and still a baby yet. She may not be stubborn, she may just not be ready or scared. If you push her too hard, then she wil become stubborn and just mad. Who cares what t
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 11:05 AM on May. 8, 2011

• She will walk. She will talk. You cannot force it. It takes a few months for most kids to get the hang of it.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:15 PM on May. 8, 2011