Incredibly painful shoulder/arm? Ideas?

My upper arm and shoulder hurt if I move it anywhere above my chest or head or hold anything heavier than a few pounds. I have to lift things a lot so I'm always exerting myself I guess, I think it started with a slight twinge and my arm's gotten worse and worse recently.

Do you have any suggestions of what it could be and how to make it better? I can't not lift things for a long period of time, it's a part of my business, so I'm stumped.

It's even hurting to pick up my little ones so I'm having to use one arm at all times which obviously isn't always possible.

aishanabuaisha

Asked by aishanabuaisha at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Health

• Ice...you may have hurt it at work. Do not pick up your kids for a while and call your Dr. who may send you for some physical therapy. You sound like your shoulder needs a break.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Get it checked by a doctor, they should be able to find out what is causing it.

Answer by Bmat at 10:25 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Booked into doctors tomorrow, just wanted some opinions. Thanks!
    aishanabuaisha

Comment by aishanabuaisha (original poster) at 10:27 AM on May. 8, 2011

• This sounds like a rotator cuff strain. I agree with the OP. I had this and it got better over time but not back to 100%. Therepy would probably be a big help. If you are having trouble getting comfortable sleeping, sleep on your side with the affected side up and drape you arm over a pillow so the arm and shoulder are supported by the pillow.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:28 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Perhaps Bursitis - very very painful!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:48 AM on May. 8, 2011

• A pinched nerve? Did you get the tingling after giving birth or an epidural? I had one once and got tingling, then pain, and now i can not lift my arm up as well or i lose the feeling, some of the control, and the pain and tingling is bad. Its permanent they said a "side effect" anything intrusive into the back/spine.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 10:51 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Make sure its no a break, fracture or tear with your primary care doctor. If you need pain relief fast, magnesium is king of non precription pain relief. Try an epsom salt bath with 1 cup in your bath and soak for 20-30 mins a night for 1-2 weeks. But make sure you rule out something serious!!!
    lizi.clawson

Answer by lizi.clawson at 1:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Go to the dr!! This is not normal. If you are worried about $$ the ER has to treat you regardless of ability to pay.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 5:02 AM on May. 9, 2011