How to ween toddler off of pacifier?

Any advise on getting rid of the pacifier? She just turned 3 last month.

MommyDimples

Asked by MommyDimples at 11:18 AM on May. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her paci's are for little babies and that she's big enough to send them on to the babies that need them. Box them all up and send them to the paci fairy. The next day, she wakes up and finds a new present for herself to congratulate her for turning so big.

Otherwise, I don't know. All of mine had their paci's taken away at 10 months.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 2:17 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Honestly hun, I never "weened" them I took it and threw it away and told them "all gone" it was a rough couple of nights but then it was over with. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:36 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't think i ever thought about weaning my kids off pacifiers. They just gave them up when they started playing with other kids and getting out and watching everyone else. They must have noticed that babies had a pacifier and that they were too big for one. I don't think you have to "Wean" them. UNLESS, she wants to take one to kindergarten! LOL. But she won't. :-)
    Don't worry about it. It will be fine.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:38 AM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree with Kitchenwitch. None of my kids (except middle daughter) went past 6 months wanting the pacifier. And middle daughter was about a year old when she stopped wanting it to suck on (she still chewed on it, tho LOL).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:38 AM on May. 8, 2011

• My son was a year and a half when he stopped. We started only alowing him to use it during naptime/bedtime, then only bed time then one day I just threw them away. It will be a little roughh but so worth it! I hated having to find that thing all the time!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:49 AM on May. 8, 2011

• i know someone that took her son outside and buried them...soon they "grew" into flowers...thought that was a pretty cute idea.
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 12:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Put them in a jar far away and tell her they are really for babies and you want her to stop using one but if she really wants one she can ask for it, but lets try not to. Be very diligent that if she sleeps with one its not there when she wakes up with it and that when she is done it goes away. Once you start breaking the habit you might find that its not that important.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:44 PM on May. 9, 2011

• You throw all of the pacifiers away and tell her they are gone. Both of my children only used a pacifier for a couple months at the longest. Once they get over the need to suck, all pacifiers should be gone. It just becomes a crutch for them, there is no real need for them to have one
    Kats86

Answer by Kats86 at 8:00 PM on May. 11, 2011