If your ex takes you to court about the cost of a daycare can the judge tell you take the child to a different daycare if the ex's only reason is that it is not cheap enough?

uknowwhy2

Asked by uknowwhy2 at 5:34 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• It depends on a few things. The price, location, your motives. He may not make you move your child. But he may tell you your husband only has to pay X amount. If you choose to keep your child there you will have to pay the difference yourself.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:10 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes the jugde can. Because it that is out of his price range or to much thme the judge will ask you to remove him from that center and place him in another center that your ex can afford or you will have to pay the cost. Or you can pay the remaining cost of waht ever your ex doesn't wanna pay.....like if the daycare is 120 aweek and he can only pay 100 you would have to pay the 20. I use to work at a daycare and it happen all the time.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 6:38 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Maybe. But if your paying say, $150 a week and all other centers are that or more expensive, probably not. If there are decent centers around that are much cheaper, then i would say yes the judge can. But i'm just making an educated guess lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• what i did was go thru dhs and get child care assistance...here in the state of oklahoma they will go after the father for child support if you are approved..that was not my ntentions when i signed up for the assistance my intentions were to be able to work a day job...but i am glad it turned out the way it did..cuz now my XH has to pay child support...and i think the state takes some out to cover his end of the day care...something to look in to...plus like i told him it wasnt me going after him for child support it was the state of oklahoma...i got a court order to apear just like he did...so he cant have hard feeling towards me for him having to pay..but i am glad cuz i desperately needed the money..being a new single mother of 2 kids under 5yrs.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• also..i do not see how they could make you chose a new daycare...i chose a more expensive one as well...but i looked into a lot a lot about 20 or more..and truth is those others had way too many incident reports...some we sustained and some were not..but they were all investigated..and that was enough for me to not go to those...also the judge might understand that it is hard to find a daycare with openings...especially in the middle of a school year....i hope it works out for you.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 7:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Just go in prepared to back up why you chose the daycare you did rather than a cheaper one and it seems like the judge will back you up. Since you are also paying half say "Hey if I could save money and feel that my child is safe then I would have put them in a cheaper daycare but this is why I felt this one was best for the child"
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My ex tried to do that and send my 3 year old daughter and 18 month old son to a slummy daycare center because it was cheaper and the judge did NOT make us switch...the judge backed me up because he knew that my ex was a disgusting man anyways.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• IDK. That would be a crappy judge & ex IMO that would think like that. Most any daycare is expensive. Like PP said be prepared to back up your choice & decision making process. There might be a lower priced & quality daycare in the area with an available slot. If it is 20 mins out of the way & several red lights further, that is a hardship not only on the primary parent doing the time management & driving, but a hardship on the child as well. Not to mention more time on the road & more chances to be involved in a car accident. That ex seems like a real winner. LOL. The difference in price probably isn't worth the court cost to try to argue his point. What is his point anyway? Are you just choosing an outlandishly priced daycare to piss him off? I hope not. My motto is always make choices in the best interest of the child.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thank you all so much for your response......I checked around and many of them that were cheaper did have poor reports and being a teacher I just wasn't going to have that nonsense...I have gone and requested purchase of care through the state and they will supposedly take it out of my child support...that is when he ever starts paying it. thank you again
    uknowwhy2

Answer by uknowwhy2 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 7, 2008