Punishments........

My oldest DD is very difficult to punish. Time outs have been tried, no effect. Can't take away anything because she does not form material attachments. The few times I have resorted to spanking, she yells, but repeats the behavior within a week. At the advice of my DH I assigned sentences for her latest BS (she was caught stealing at school.) I am at my wits end. I have to correct these behaviors before she gets any older and I can't do anything (she's 7)

Any other suggestions?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 12:03 PM on May. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Extra chores, making her workout like jumping jacks. What about sitting in a invisible chair on the wall. Not letting her have desert? Making her read the dictionary might help. Some times a school counselor can help too.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 3:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm with sweetangie, chores. Strip down privileges, down to the basics. NO tv, no toys, nothing but school, homework, chores, food. Scrubbing walls and floors is a good motivator. As her behavior improves, add in privileges. Remember it can take weeks and even months for a behavior to change. There is no quick fix. Long term consistency is the only lasting solution.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:45 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Extra chores, especially ones that involve isolation-cleaning the garage while everyone else is watching TV. Washing all the cars, scrubbing the floors. Perhaps to add value if she stole a $10 item at minimum wage after taxes she would probably need to two hours of work to replace that item thus a punishment and a lesson.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:33 PM on May. 9, 2011