Should Obama be tried in the World Court?

This is for those of you who support a world court. All reports indicate that the Bin Laden operation was strictly a kill operation. Personally I think the UN can go to hell. Even as much as I dislike Obama's policies, I would not sacrifice my principles on the idea of subjecting US citizens to a world court.

Reuters) - U.N. human rights investigators called on the United States on Friday to disclose the full facts surrounding the killing of Osama bin Laden, in particular whether there had been any plan to capture him.

Christof Heyns, U.N. special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, and Martin Scheinin, special rapporteur on protecting human rights while countering terrorism, said that in certain exceptional cases, deadly force may be used in "operations against terrorists."

"However, the norm should be that terrorists be dealt with as criminals, through legal processes of arrest, trial and judicially-decided punishment," the independent experts said in a joint statement.

"In respect of the recent use of deadly force against Osama bin Laden, the United States of America should disclose the supporting facts to allow an assessment in terms of international human rights law standards," they said.

"It will be particularly important to know if the planning of the mission allowed an effort to capture bin Laden."

It was important to get this information "into the open," according to the investigators who report to the U.N. Human Rights Council whose 47 members include the United States.

A U.S. acknowledgment that bin Laden was unarmed when shot in the head in its operation at his hideout in Pakistan on Monday -- as well as the sea burial of his body, a rare practice in Islam -- have drawn some criticism in the Arab world and Europe, where some have warned of a backlash.

Navi Pillay, the top U.N. human rights official, also called on Tuesday for light to be shed on the killing, stressing that all counter-terrorism operations must respect international law.

"We've raised a question mark about what happened precisely, more details are needed at this point," her spokesman Rupert Colville told a briefing in Geneva on Friday.

He was not aware that Pillay's office had had any contact with U.S. authorities on the issue this week.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:16 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No I don't think he should be..... I am not also a fan of asking other countries what we can or can not do.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I dont believe in world court, its too close to a world government for my comfort. And even if I did I would think it rediculous to try him at all.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 1:28 PM on May. 8, 2011

• blank staresince when do we need approval for what we as a country do? I may not agree with the president or his policies but in this case he was awesome!

Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• No.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:33 PM on May. 8, 2011

• did we go after the families or other parties involved when they viciously attacked our twin towers? Did we need to get to the bottom of wether or not it was we handled the repocutions of that mayhem? I don't understand why people feel the need to wonder wether or not we "humanly" killed him!!! He had hundreds of followers doing ungodly things to us with no remorse why should we have any?
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 1:38 PM on May. 8, 2011

• No. The US has it's own courts, it's own legal system, and a Constitution that gives all of us the right to be tried in a court right here at home if it becomes necessary.

That being said, I wouldn't mind using our own court to impeach him *G*
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:39 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I was against it for Bush and even though I don't like Obama I'm against it for him too.

That being said, I'd love to hear from the people who were in favor of it for Bush & Cheney but are against it for Obama and why.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:47 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Ha, no. So they wanted us to capture OBL? Then what? Put him on trial?? That would have went well. BS if you ask me. The d-bag killed thousands of americans, he deserves to rot in hell
    Anonymous

• I don't, so no
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:23 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I think this is just another bandwagon for the Obama haters to jump on just like the birth certificate. It's obvious that they just hate him for the sake of hating him at this point.
    Anonymous