The concept of Heaven!

I believe it to be made all up in the mind. We believe it is what we want it to be. I have seen so many people say they can't wait to go to heaven and how beautiful it will be and so on. Where do they get these ideas? I don't remember reading it in the bible but I could have just misread that part. Do you think the concept of heaven is just a fantastical idea made up in the minds of the believers who wish there to be more than just death?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 1:54 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• It's true that the Bible doesn't speak a lot about Heaven but that it speaks a lot about Hell. That has always caused me to think a great deal about why that might be true, but there is enough in the Bible for me to know that both are real places.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:04 PM on May. 8, 2011

• The bible does speak of golden streets angels and mansions in heaven.
    Anonymous

• The city itself is portrayed as a cube. 1,380 miles long, high, and wide. The foundations of the city walls are decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation is jasper, the 2nd sapphire, 3rd chalcedony, emerald, sardonyx, carnelian, chrysolite, beryl, topaz, chrysoprase, jacinth, and the 12th is amethyst. There are 12 gates, each made of a single pearl. The street is pure gold. The River of Life, clear as crystal, flows from the throne of God down the middle of the golden street. On each side of the river is the tree of life, which bears twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light. A rainbow resembling an emerald encircles God's throne.
    All of this can be found in Rev.21 except for the last sentence which comes from Rev.4
    cont...
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. (Jn.14:2-4)
    No eye has seen,...no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. (1Cor.2:9)
    God gave a physical description of a literal place; a place so wonderful our minds can't even conceive it. A place where there will be no more tears, no more death or mourning or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. (Rev.21:4) Heaven isn't an "idea". If it were, God wouldn't have given a physical description of it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:44 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Apparently, it isn't always a peaceful place:

And there was war in heaven; Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels.
      Rev. 12:7 

and: From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force.  Matt. 11:12

Nor is it necessarily an eternal place:

•  

Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
        Matt 24:34-35

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Apparently heaven is too dull and monotonous to merit any description. Otherwise, no one would want to go if they knew it was eternal boredom and divine ass-kissing! It's MUCH more fun to accentuate hell.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:33 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I think the leaders in the churches plant that picture in our heads!!!
    Anonymous

• heaven is mentioned by both god and saints in the bible but as far as i know they never really give much details
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 1:59 PM on May. 8, 2011

• tHAT IS TRUE THEY DON'T GIVE DETAILS!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I believe in an afterlife, what exactly it looks like I have no idea.  Yes I understand my belief is based on faith, it's not something tangible I can experience here on Earth.  I've had enough experiences that have affirmed my faith,  and my belief in an afterlife.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:38 PM on May. 8, 2011