• In the Spotlight:

What must I have?

I haven't had a newborn in the house in a very long time. Our new (adopted) baby will be here in November. I know there are lots of new fun things out there. What can I not live without???

expecting baby

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 2:39 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Adoption

• To all who have objected to the OP's sweet pea saying that she is expecting - for hopeful adoptive parents, we are considered to be "expecting" during the time after our homestudy is completed, and even before we have been chosen by an expectant mother. We are encouraged to buy things ahead of time for several reasons. One, it is part of the nesting that anyone else would do while they are preparing for a new addition to the family. We held onto our baby things for several years, but we were ready. Two, adoptive parents can get little to no notice. With our first, we had three weeks' notice. With our second, we had one week. The expectant mother does not need to know that she is buying things, so there is no reason why there should be any pressure on her.

Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:44 PM on May. 8, 2011

• She's 'expecting' to bring home a baby in November the same as a pregnant woman would be.
    Would you people be bashing her if she were pregnant, due in November and shopping for things? A miscarriage could happen so those women shouldn't get excited and prepared either, right?
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:18 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Seeing as the BM has given birth to THREE OTHER children and not kept any of them because she has chosen not to put her children first, chances are things won't change. NTM, this BM is in JAIL how are things going to change? They aren't. If she doesn't give the baby up the baby WILL go into foster care most likely with the OP. As far as the original question: I would say a wrap!

And go ahead and vote me down, I don't care about any of your opinions.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:34 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Wow! How did this turn into a bashing post? I'm rather appalled (especially since this is MOTHER'S DAY!).
    ((HUG)) To you and good luck with everything.
    My daughter LOVED her swing and bouncy chair. Def get a convertible carrier/car seat, they are fabulous! Shop around for the bottles that you want because some are really great at preventing gas and spit up while others aren't.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 8:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• A swing, a bouncy chair.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Mmm a bouncy chair is always nice to have, and much more portable than a swing! A swing too has been a lifesaver for us in getting baby to sleep. Bumbo chairs are nice for when they're older, like 3+ months (we took ours everywhere, restaurants, parks, friends and families houses's, etc). Jump-a-roo's are pretty cool too. My first and second daughter just loved the one I had for them! Baby monitor with video if you plan on having baby sleep in another room. Travel system stroller/carseat combo. Burt Bee's Baby Bee or California Baby hygiene products. They're nice to have especially because you don't know if baby will end up with sensitive skin or not. Exersaucers are the new walker, my brother's son gets a lot of use out of his and loves it. Oh and a humidifier or vaporizer for when they get a cold/stuffy nose kind of thing. That's all I can think of at the moment =) Have fun baby shopping! That's always a blast hehehe =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:05 PM on May. 8, 2011

• CONGRATS!!! I'm excited for you!! Bumbo chairs are awesome!!!! Hugs!!! (Ignore the trolls on here)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 7:07 PM on May. 8, 2011

• An infant carrier/sling/wrap to wear your new addition. An umbrella stroller for the quick jaunts to the store/mall. A larger stroller with storage for day trips to the zoo or something like that.

With my son we got one of the stroller/carrier combo units. It was great because it grew with him, but was so BIG it was hard to steer through small aisles in some of the stores in the mall. When my daughter was born we wore her more than we EVER did with him. The only thing I didn't like about the $10 umbrella stroller we bought for her was the lack of storage to toss the diaper bag and my purse.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:55 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Mobi wrap!

Are you planning on breastfeeding? I have lots of info on breastfeeding an adopted baby (I'm currently breastfeeding my adopted DD) on my blog http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:04 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't get the bashing. Prepare the best way you know how. I would start looking at different lines and trying to figure out what you need. I wouldn't buy anything yet...not because something could go wrong with the adoption...but because it is still a little early. Don't buy the first thing you come across. I bought all my stuff early...then found stuff I liked better.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:29 PM on May. 8, 2011