For those of you who've left a husband...

from walking out the door (or kicking him out) how long did it take to get your 1st child support check? Best case scenario he's cooperative, you file papers immediately, there's no hold ups or drama or red tape. Neighbor is leaving hubby and has enough "secret money" for a hotel and food for 1 month. Her county would likely help her w/ a security deposit for a new place but in a month how much progress would the child support have made? Would she even have court by then?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:49 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• For some it happens quick for me it was seven years for my friend it was two or three months. Does he have a job and is he going to quit to stop her from getting child support? Mine was going to quit but they garnished his wages and got it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:56 PM on May. 8, 2011

• My ex is military and they started garnishing his check after 3 or 4 months.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:06 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I never got child support. I didn't fight for it though, I was just glad to get rid of him.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:48 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I only get $25 a month because my ex is under the poverty level....I filed in 3 years ago in April, It was finalized and child support started in June!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:28 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I got about a thousand when we went to court in December, I had left in August - they made him pay that before he left the courthouse, but after that it was about 2 years before they started garnishing his check. Of course, child support enforcement wasn't involved at first because everyone thought he would actually be decent and pay CS like the court order stated. He paid for 8 months and then hasn't paid anything in the last 3 years - we go back to court again next week.

Answer by missanc at 6:55 PM on May. 8, 2011

• It will be a few months at least for child support, but she could get food stamps/wic/welfare right away.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:23 PM on May. 9, 2011