Add/adhd symptoms?? or just normal behavior??

for a while now my son has ben showing alot of symptoms for add/adhd? im really concerend and not sure if i should just by pass it as normal behavior or get it checkd out. he wont sit still for more than five mins.he wont listen to me if i tell him something . hes figity alot and blurts and screams at me alot. hes into hitting and kicking and spiting alot as well.its really scaring me. i need help perferably advice from someone who has gone threw this.

newmomie07

Asked by newmomie07 at 2:51 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• How old is he?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:54 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Yeah, how old is he? That sounds typical for the most part. I'd be doing some serious discipline on the spitting thing.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:58 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If you are concerned then you should talk to his Dr about it. Regardless if he has ADHD, it sounds like there are some behaviors you are having trouble dealing with. You need to get some help with that, diagnosis or not!

I started taking my child to a therapist when I was concerned about his behaviors that seems outside the range of normal to me, at age 5. He is now 9 and in these last four years I've gotten lots of professional help on dealing with his behavior. Along the way he has been diagnosed with Apergers/ADHD/OCD.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:58 PM on May. 8, 2011

• If he's 2 it's normal. If he's 7 it's probably normal.

My son is 7 and does some of the same things you're describing in your son. My daughter is 4 and does the same things. BOTH of my kids are very active, high-energy kids.

Have you tried getting him into sports/activities to give him outlets for all his energy?

My son is a headache on the weekends when he doesn't have recess to run around. My daughter is a headache when she doesn't get her swimming or gymnastics days.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• he is four this satruday... and im wondering if its the seperation between his dad and i . we divorced a yr ago and this is the first time ive had him since our divorce was finailzed hes ben with his dad.. but everytime i have goten him he dose this .. his dad said he never dose this with him. and i live with my sister and her husband andhe started to act out like this after my brother in law deployed and im wondering if its the male figure in his life hes lackin and why hes acting up liek thjis..
    newmomie07

Comment by newmomie07 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Let's say that he had them,okay then what to do,do you figure out on your own how to manage him? Do you go the medicine route which some moms I've talked to regretted doing. I would see what can be done,sometimes these problems can be a gift in disguise. Maybe your child is in need of a lot of stimulation and needs to be challenged more? I don't know the answers but the moms I've talked to have had more success without medications.
    Anonymous

• hes always playin outside with his cousin we do walks everynight of course weather permited because we live in wa the rainy placve haha..but hes always outside and has al the room in the world to play he plays soccer with his cousin and runs and everything
    newmomie07

Comment by newmomie07 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on May. 8, 2011

• and the medication is what im afdraid of doing..
    newmomie07

Comment by newmomie07 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Make him stop the bad behavior,my kids did this very same thing and they use to hurt each other,I nipped it in the bed and had tons of time outs and no treats for them. It changed their behavior and they got rewarded kindly fo it.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Hang in their momma it this will pass,seems to be the thing that comes with age,also forgot to mention don't let them have sugar it contributes to this behavior. A doctor told me that.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:09 PM on May. 8, 2011