All the yardsales have the same items....

I've been checking out some yard sale postings on craigslist and facebook and everyone seems to have exactly what I have....baby clothes, toys, boys and girls toddler clothes, baby swings, bouncers...etc...
How can I make my yard sale unique and entice people to come to MINE?
Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• A yard sale is a yard sale. And not everyone has the same baby stuff. People like to stop at all of them so they can see exactly what it is they have. Even though someone has baby clothes, doesn't mean they are the size or type they are looking for. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just finished our sale this weekend and was shocked how quickly everything went. :) Good luck.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:01 PM on May. 8, 2011

• It's not that it's a bad thing... those are the items that everyday people look for... it's what drives the customers to the sale! Uniqueness is not always good when it comes to yard sales. You want customers, not clients... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:02 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh yeah, the appearance when people drive by, does make a difference. Have it nicely organized. Sizes, type, etc. Make bright signs. Have decent prices. Throw the brighter colored items towards the front. They can be sort of eye catching.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I think it helps to have a clearly marked and well-organized *FREE PILE*, this will get people to stop and browse. Also remember the goal is to get rid of the stuff so don't get hung up on price.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• A lot of times if you get together with neighbors and have a group sale more people will come. You can advertise a "six family sale" or a "neighborhood sale" - people like to go to places where they can see a lot of stuff without driving all over creation!

Answer by missanc at 6:52 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree with what others above have said. My most successful yard sales have been the ones with big bright signs, clearly marked prices, well-organized (put your nicest big stuff out front, and arrange everything else neatly on tables or shelves sorted into groups of like items). A free pile always works (nicely organized too of course). And be friendly with the customers, that seems to work too. I've been to many yard sales where nobody even said Hello when I walked up. It makes people feel out of place, or unwanted.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:36 PM on May. 8, 2011