Why do we expect things for every Hallmark Holiday?

It's a bunch of BS if you ask me. There are women on here saying, Oh I got this and Oh I got that. Then there are women on here who are pissed because they didn't get anything. Why? It's another classic "Hallmark Holiday". Every single day of your life, you have the wonderful opportunity of being a mother, raising a child and watching the excitement in their life. Isn't that enough? Will a card, a flower, or a dinner really make your life that much better? Maybe I wasn't raised to be selfish, but enjoy your life, each and every day. You never know what tomorrow will bring!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Holidays

• Past years I have been upset because I didn't get anything, but this is the first Mother's Day without my mom. I really miss her, and I see what this day is for. It's not for gifts and flowers. It is a time to step and reflect at the wonderful mom we have been given. It took me 26 years to figure it out. I miss her and know she is in Heaven looking down at us. I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day and has the opportunity to reflect on your own mothers or reflect on the blessings you've been given with your children.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:11 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree with you!!!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree. I appreciate that my husband is going to make me dinner, and that he's doing a bunch of favors and errands for me today, but I would have been fine with nothing. Valentine's Day is another silly one. I would be upset if he forgot a birthday or anniversary, but the rest is unimportant.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Today I gave and did for others I might not have gotten anything but I will rock this day and say it again everyday. I am happy my son said Happy Mothers day Grateful for my other son coming over with his dollar box of chocolate more grateful for him and his wife and my grand baby. I have the gift even if it wasn't wrapped it was still great.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:06 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I agree. My gift is taking a nap:) I don't need anything else!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 3:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I do not expect anything except to just be told "Happy mothers day"
    Last year I got surprised with a gift and that was awesome because I never got one before. The surprise was the best thing, really.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:11 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Just because someone celebrates these holidays doesn't mean they're selfish. Actually, for me, it's not about myself at all. It's about my own mother. While I appreciate her every day, it's fun to have a day "just for mothers". God knows we deserve it. I see nothing wrong with the "Hallmark Holidays".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:15 PM on May. 8, 2011

• It's about appreciation, even if it's just a "thank you for being the mother to my children". I don't expect anything.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 4:40 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I also want to add...some of us don't get a lot of appreciation or recognition for the hard work we do every single day. When my husband didn't even get me a card today, I'm not gonna lie, I was hurt. I'm not gonna bitch and moan about it, but did I feel unappreciated? Yea. He told me I could buy myself whatever I wanted, but it's not about "what you get", it's about the sentiment and appreciation. It is kinda hurtful when you're a mother 24/7 (I never, ever get a break), and it seems like other mothers are getting special treatment and you're not. I'm trying my hardest not to be selfish or to let it bother me, but on this day that's supposed to be for appreciating mothers, when you get none of that, it can be disappointing. I'm not sitting here feeling sorry for myself, but I am feeling sorry for some of the moms who have had a bad day. I can understand why they'd be sad.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:27 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I don't expect anything. In fact, the less I receive the better the day!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:59 PM on May. 8, 2011