When did you take your childs dummy/pacifier away?

My daughter turned 1 this week and still takes a dummy at night, but not during the day unless she's poorly or cranky. One of my daughters was still using a dummy at 2 years 3 months and i'd really rather Sofia didn't take one for that long but i dont want to take away something that does comfort her. So when did you take dummies away?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Thats a tough one.

Since my daughter NEVER used a pacifier i dont really know. But friends and family told me that they took the pacifier aways at around 1 - 1 1/2 years.

Our neighbors daughter is using a pacifier all the time. She is 3yrs old now... kids in daycare laugh at her and call her a baby. :-/

But i think when ever you are ready for the problems that come with taking the pacifier away (cranky baby, angry ect), then you are good to go.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh.. and i heard it takes up to 5 days without a pacifier until the child doesnt ask for it anymore. Some probably take longer.
    m.robertson811

• My oldest is the only that really used a pacifieer. We started weaning him off them at about 22 mth(like 2 wks before he 'turned' 22 mths). He had a ton and I would throw 1 away every few days. He was down to 1 and we were driving down the road, the hubbys window was down, Mason threw he binky and it went out the window! LOL He didnt even notice until bedtime and when I told him he threw it away and we didnt have anymore, he cried for a minute and then he was fine.
    I personally dont think any child needs a pacifier after 18 mths or so. I should have taken my sons away earlier but we were in the middle of moving so I put it off! Good luck....check out Super Nanny's website and see the "Binky Fairy" idea.
    Mommah3

Answer by Mommah3 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My oldest was 3 years old and a few months. My middle child was not quite 2 (we took theirs away at the same time). And my baby has never wanted one.

For me, the idea of how horrible taking the pacifier away was much worse than the reality of it. We cut off the ends, let the girls find them that way, and that was pretty much it. They barely fussed at all.

Good luck!
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took both of mine away around 10 months. Young enough to easily adapt without it. The older they are the harder it is on them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took my son's away just after he turned 1. I suggest cutting them or just throwing them away so that you can't give in at bed time. It only takes a couple days and they forget they ever had one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I took my son' away around 10 months. He was using them like your child, only at sleepytimes or when he was being particularly fussy. So I tried setting him down for his easiest, most tired nap without his paci...and he went right to sleep! So I just never gave it back, and he never really minded. We had a couple difficult naps for maybe 2 days, but he DID nap and he DIDN'T scream his head off or seem traumatized. We still have them in the house and if he sees one he'll grab it and chew on it for 30 seconds, but that's about it. He is 14 months now.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:32 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I let mine suck his until he was 2 1/2. I really didn't care too much but we limited it to bedtime. I had read an article that said that until permanent teeth come in, they are okay to suck one, BUT it is harder to get it away the older they are. So I decided that once he lost all of them, I wasn't buying anymore. ABout mid october, I couldn't find one and he went to bed without it. He wasn't phased by it at all. Like the other mom said...its the anticipation of how bad its going to be vs, the reality. It really wasn't bad at all. Now he doesn't care about it at all. He even found one and went and threw it in the garbage. He also wouldn't suck them if they were broken or had holes in them. He said...broke, and threw it in the trash.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i took my DD's away at 7 months.
    maddismom247

Answer by maddismom247 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My oldest never took one. My daughter took one and I took it away from her in Sept and she just turned 2 in Nov. I took it away from her as soon as she got her last tooth in b/c she had bad night terrors that were associated with her teething and she would scream bloody murder but still be asleep. The only thing that we found that would wake her up was sucking on her patsy. From the time she was about 18 months till the time we took it away it was just used for nap and bed time so it made it easier to have her stop completely after her last tooth came in, but she will still ask for it from time to time and I think that is b/c my youngest is using one but a different kind from hers so she doesn't take his but will ask for hers and we just tell her "No your a big girl now and only babies take patsies", and so far that will stop her asking for a little while. CONT...
    lizwhit

Answer by lizwhit at 9:37 AM on Dec. 5, 2008