About to start overnight shifts. Any advice?

Im about to start overnight shifts at a hospital in a few weeks. DH and I thought it would be good that way we wouldnt need a babysitter for our 7 month old cause we'll take turns watching the baby. I'll work 11pm-7am then DH works 8-5am. I need advice for sleep and sleep times. When is the best time to sleep? Whenever the baby sleeps? Or should I just tough it out till DH gets home?

acrivera04

Asked by acrivera04 at 3:02 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you figure you won't need a sitter? I am a nurse and worked nights(my preference) for 15 yrs. My kids were in school though. My husband got them off to school I came how and was in bed by 9. I slept until 3:25. My youngest walked in the door at 3:30. We did homework, made supper, baths bed and then I left for work. The most important part of working nights is sleeping in a block time frame same as those who work days. Trying to sleep a few hours then get up and run around..then sleep a bit morre for work is a recipe for fatigue. PMs (3-11) would mean you would only need a sitter a few hours between when you leave for work and Dad comes home. I hope it works out for you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:14 PM on May. 8, 2011

• came HOME*
    GrnEyedGrandma

• Figure out the time that you are going to sleep and the time you are going to wake up. I also had to do this a long time ago. I made sur that when I woke up all I had to do is hit the shower and go. I made sure my clothes were out, lunch fixed, and ds baby bag was packed so dh could take him to the baby sitter. GL!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• How do u figure u won't need a sitter? Your DH is working 8-5 a.m.? U r 11-7 a.m.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:44 PM on May. 8, 2011