How to overcome...

eating when I'm bored? I quit smoking about 1 1/2 years ago when I was pregnant and now I'm trying to lose weight. Not only did quitting slow down my metabolism, but now when I'm bored I get snacky.
I try to eat like carrots or triscuits with hummus or a yogurt but I never feel satisfied.
I've ben working out for about a month and even though DH says he sees a difference in certain areas the scale won't budge and none of my summer clothes (which fit last yar when I was BF) can get over my fat ass.
Tips and advice please! Especially from former smokers if you're out there

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:27 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I would write a journal and I would also figure out if there is something else you can do besides eat. I play basketball walk or drink water sometimes putting a piece of gum in my mouth helps too. I quit smoking ten years ago and I also have lost 400 plus pounds still have fifty more to go but this is what helps when I get snacky.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:36 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Find other activities to do, that don't allow you to be bored. If your bored times are at home watching kiddos, then plan places to take the kids to such as the park where you can be active and your not around a fridge! Make sure your drinking lots of water.
    I know how you feel in the bored category though......I have to keep myself busy! :)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 4:45 PM on May. 8, 2011

• you said you have been working out right? well muscle weighs more than fat, so if the doctor says that area are improving & you clothes sizes are changing than there must be a difference & you are doing great!
    Momma_D88

Answer by Momma_D88 at 3:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Have sex when you're bored.
    Anonymous

• I've been smoke-free for over 2 years now after a 15 year habit. I second the gum thing (thanks pinkdragon) ... I chew an embarrassing amount of sugar-free gum in a day but I'm not smoking! I used to leave the house too when I wanted to smoke. Go walk around the block, or check the mail, or anything that'll get your mind off that craving. It's hard but you can do it!!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 4:04 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Wow pinkdragon that's wonderful!
    I was thinking about gum myself. I do walk just about evry da with my boys and I have been starting to drink more water.
    Anon, I would LOVE to have sex whenever I was bored but y'know it's hard to do when DH is at work lol
    As for gaining muscle like 1st poster said.... it must be under my muffintop lol
    Maybe I am just not giving it enough time yet.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 3:55 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I know I still have chub and wonder where this muscle is but now that I changed my diet its helping as well.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:13 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Try to drink water when you feel the urge to snack or get up and do some lunges or squats. I've personally had amazing results since starting the workout Insanity, can't wait to finish and go on to P90X!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:21 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Gum and brushing my teeth help me a lot.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:02 PM on May. 9, 2011