My husband and I are in a sketchy situation

We would like to move out of our now apartment and move into a bigger apartment, and also take in roomates to save money and build our credit. It's coming close to the deadline and we are starting to get concerned with the roomates we have (we didnt have very many options sadly). They seem like nice people, however they are smokers (cig and pot) and drinkers and sleep in VERY late.

We were wondering if we should change our plans, theyre depending on us just as much as we are depending on them. We are Christians, But ... in all honesty I have a child to worry about for the next year! (lease)
Like I said before, theye very nice and I've known them for years. But their habits are concerning.

We're considering looking for another couple, how should we tell them? What should we tell them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Depends on if they are on the lease or not. If they are not on the lease. Just tell them you are moving in ___days or months and start looking for a place. If they are on the lease tell them you are moving as soon as you find a new palce and you are getting off the lease.

Answer by louise2 at 4:03 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I'd be straight with them and tell them that what they are doing is illegal and you don't want any part of it.
    Anonymous

• I would tell them that they would have to keep up that sort of habit elsewhere.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:08 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Just be honest and up front with them. There's no easy way to say their habits are a concern for your kid's well being. They will have hurt feelings im sure, but you have to think of the kid's first, and always.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Well, there is some responsibility on your part as well, just to be fair. If you have known these people for a long time, you obviously knew how they were, why did you move in with them to begin with?? It's not fair to put them out if you already knew ahead of time. However, I would make good and sure, if a room mate is what you really need, that you are upfront ahead of time with your expectations. Also, I'd make sure you have someone lined up and guaranteed before you go breaking the news as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Perhaps you could emphasize that it might have worked before when you were just a couple. However, because you now have a child, his or her health and safety must be your primary concern. As a personal example, we, a Christian couple with a preschool son, took in my half sister so she could safely finish her last year in high school. She had left our childhood home sometime earlier and was no longer welcome there. So she was living with an ex-con. She came to live with us but kept asserting her independence. She smoked and partied (booze, illegal drugs) with questionable friends. Being just six years older than her, we had no idea how to successfully manage a teenager. She never was really good with our son and he watched her smoke. Later on when he was a teen, he tried out some of the same behaviors. I will always wonder if this would have been true so early for him, had she not lived with us.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Just tell them you are moving and when and they will need to find another place to live before then.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• if police come and there is pot in the home and your name is on the lease... hmm doesnt sound like a good situation to put a child in but maybe you can make an agreement with them to leae it OU^T of the house. I hope everything works out for you!!1 good luck mommy!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:16 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thank you a lot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:22 PM on May. 8, 2011