• In the Spotlight:

I am currently receiving WIC (women infants and children) a government funded food help program. They offer free formula, goodstart, but my 2 weeks old son has been using similac advance since birth. We have used goodstart for the past two days and he is like a different child, gassy fussy sleepy. Is there any way to mix the two? Kind of ween him from one to the other? And how long should I wait before calling his doctor or consider switching back permanantly?

kcooch697

Asked by kcooch697 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get a note from your pedicatrician saying he has to have a certain formula and wic will give you vouchers for it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:53 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You can get a note like the PP said but yes you can also mix the 2 to wean him from one to the other. In fact I think they recommend that. Keep in mind you might have to do the same thing later on when he switches to regular milk. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:56 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh also I think that Good Start actually has more DHA and ARA in it than Similac if I remember correctly.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 7:57 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Contact your doc. He should be able to give you advice over the phone about which type of good start to use. He might just need another *type* of formula. I wouldn't mix the formula's unless the doc OKs it. ALso, it might take a few days for your little one to adjust to the new formula. Again, ask the doc what he thinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You are certainly not too far along to do what you can to breastfeed (you obviously are tight on money). Breastmilk does not cost anything, it is far superior to chemical laden formula, and you never have to worry about the tummy problems that come from formula (let alone switching it). Doesn't your child deserve the best?  *They have milk share programs if you are in the 3% that medical are unable*

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thats such a bummer. Whenever I had to use wic, it was always the opposite of what I was using. It just depends on which formula they have contracted with. I had to swap my last child twice. So annoying. I think mixing might help. I was told in the state of GA that WIC would not accept prescriptions for anything other than one that came from the company they were contracted with. That annoyed me too. Ask the doc about the mixing part and maybe he can come up with a solution for you. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:33 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I had to have Similac Lactose Free (not soy) wen my daughter was little and I was able to get it. I had to get a note from the doctor saying that's what she needed and WIC adapted my coupons for it.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I understand some woman have a hard time BF but I myself used wic, if money is that tight and you cant buy the formula you prefer, you expect someone else to pay? did you even try to nurse? at all? your baby is only 2 weeks old. you should a least try... it's free...............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• so pp why didnt you bf you said yourself you used wic so i dont think you have a right to judge
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Hey, 9:44.... I use WIC, and, I breastfeed. WIC is NOT just for formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 5, 2008