What can parents do/say when their children refuse to go to school?

This is what the child says when asked why??? "I don't like school" I want to stay home"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I find that there is usually something behind the protest. Last fit was because my innocent little man was bonking a kid on the head and then wondered why the kid hit him. I also found that protests were because my little guy needed a little more time in the morning at home to unwind so I started waking him up 15 minutes earlier and deciding what we were going to wear the night before. Even if I know my kid did not get enough sleep, really does have something to dread I make him go to school at the same time--but I have picked him up early when I thought he might be a little under the weather or stressed about a situation with a "friend" or spoken to the teacher. I wouldn't ignore the situation but if you feed into it once you are going to pay the price.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:40 PM on May. 9, 2011

• a preschooler? They can't refuse, they can just throw a fit about it. Pick her up, take her to school, and talk to her teacher and see whats going on.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:24 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I would ask the child if there was something that happened at school. You'll probably have to ask a few different questions to get a good answer. Then, I would ask if there was anyone there that your child liked; any teachers, kids, play things. I would remind him/her that there are so many cool things to play with and maybe tell him/her what you used to love to play with when you were his/her age. Then, I would see if he/she wanted to bring anything special to school (to boost confidence/happiness). I would stay for about 15-20 minutes to see how he/she was doing and also talk to the teacher(s) about it and see if he/she knew if anything had happened. Good luck!
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:42 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Find out why they hate school. Then pick them up and take them?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:10 PM on May. 8, 2011

• U have a lifetime of that. I just tell my daughter she has to go so she can make lots of money someday.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:11 PM on May. 8, 2011

• You say "Stop your crying, get your ass in the car and suck it up! If you dont I'll take you there my self and skin your bare ass in front of everyone!" lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 6:22 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Tell them exactly what we tell our son when that is his answer. That's not a good answer. Your train set will be here when you get home.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:59 PM on May. 9, 2011

• Is this something new or a recent development? Speak with your child's teacher. Does your child appear stressed at school? Does he/she participate? Does he/she have friends? Think about your child's overall day. Is he/she getting enough exercise, sleep, time with you?

My response to, "I don't want to go to school" would vary depending on the age of the child, but in general I would keep it short and simple. "Boys and girls have to go to school. When you come home I'll take you to the park." Give your child a family photo to take to school and tell him/her to look at it when he/she needs a hug.

It's important that children learn early on that going to school is not a choice.   www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 8:30 AM on May. 10, 2011