When preparing to take a walk/jog what kind of stretches do you do or recommend?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Stand at a wall and stand on your tiptoes go up and down and stretch and hold for a 30 seconds. This allows the calf to stretch.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:26 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Oh ya lunges to!
    MarGeee

• Calf and thigh stretches, definitely. Try sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you and reach for your toes. Reach until it's uncomfortable and then stay there for 20-30 seconds.Another one is to sit with one leg out to the side and reach for the toes, getting the inner thigh stretched. Also prop your leg on something and reach for your toes and repeat with the opposite leg.

Also stretch your abs. You can lean to the side, putting your arm over your head to stretch the obliques. Also do a twist-sit on the the floor with one leg over the other. Twist to the side while putting your elbow on the outer side of your knee and go until it's uncomfortable for the same amount of time.

And of course, the arms.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:31 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I do dynamic stretches, like windmills and swinging my leg front to back. I then to butt kicks and knee ups. I save the static stretching for after my runs.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:49 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I suggest a small warm up first then stretching.

For my legs, I: stand at a wall and place my toes flat against it so that the bottom of my foot is pressed against the wall then leaning forward. it stretches the muscles in your calves and ankles.

I also lift my foot into my hand and hold, pushing my hips forward a little to stretch my hamstrings/thighs.

I used to run track in HS so I also do what's most commonly known as a huddler's stretch. I sit on the floor and bend one leg behind me while stretching the other in front. I then lean forward, stretching my straight leg and arms and back then I lean backward, stretching my other leg's thigh.

Another good stretch is just standing straight then bending down to touch your toes. It stretches the muscles in the back of the legs.
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 1:23 AM on May. 9, 2011