I want to know what the difference in grooming blades are?

i got an online grooming school kit to groom dogs and get certificate. their suggested list of tools has an oster 3fc blade but in their video they have the andis 3 3/4 blade. why would they say to buy another if they don't mention it in their dvd's. i haven't watched every dvd so i haven't seen them use the 3 3/4 blade yet. a bit confused. i'm going to be watching it and they will use the 3 3/4 blade, yet they want me to buy the oster blade, am i suppose to replace the andis 3 3/4 for the oster cause it seems that is what they did since that is the only blade that is different. also in dvd they said that the 40 blade is considered a surgical blade, which i thought was the 000 or 0000 blade, which i already have. i don't want to buy the 40 if the 0000 blade does the same thing. any extra advice on grooming tools would be greatly appreciated

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 6:21 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Pets

• Sorry, i have no idea about what kind of Blades you are talking about but, can you really get a Certificate to be a Groomer Online? i don't see how that is possible without having Hands-On Learning.. Three months ago; my Chi/Yorkie was Hurt really bad by her Groomer that i gave all my Trust to & then on top it off- didn't tell me the truth about what happened until i called her & questioned her about it- so, it just Freaked Me out some when i just read your question-  Wishing you lots of luck becoming a Groomer..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:05 AM on May. 9, 2011

• I've been a cat and dog groomer for over 3 years, to put my experience up front.

Daisy- There is no central grooming authority. You could open a business tomorrow and call yourself a groomer. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Melody- There is no difference except the brand. The Oster 3f is the same length as the Andis 3 3/4. 40 IS a surgical blade and should NOT be used unless it's under a guard comb/guide comb. I have never heard of the 000 or 0000 blade, so I can't really help. What brand is it?

Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 4:23 PM on May. 9, 2011

• it says oster, i found out it's considered the same as a 40. daisey i would prefer hands on but you have any idea how much it cost to go to school. it's 5k for the nearest one which is about 40 miles away. i have had some mentor grooming already but had to stop when i moved so far away. i have also been grooming for about 3 yrs now but limited breeds since i haven't felt confident enough to groom others. i have a standard poodle which i groom. i'm taking this serious and i would always be honest with any customer and i feel i have a natural talent for this. it's the same thing as an owner who buys a dvd on how to groom their own pet accept i a guidge book, recommended tools, hygene dvd. only thing i don't like is their suppost. they say they offer it but i have a feeling they'll be to busy to answer all my questions. it's basicly just to finnish up what i started.
    melody77

Comment by melody77 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on May. 10, 2011