Poison ivy

Are you kids allergic? What do you do to treat it?

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 6:26 PM on May. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Oatmeal works. I ran through a field of it once and nothing happened.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:29 PM on May. 8, 2011

• No, I'm not allergic, and thankfully, my dd took after me. :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 6:30 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Thankfully we haven't had any problems so I'm not sure if they are allergic or not.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 6:32 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Mine have never been exposed, so I don't really know if they are allergic or not.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:53 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Neither of my kids or myself get it (knock on wood). I worked with a girl that would get it if she was near it and the wind was blowing. She would put bleach on it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:27 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Dh and I are both terribly allergic. Idk yet if dd is she has not been around it yet. I have always treated it with an oatmeal bath and calamine lotion. Dh always uses bleach which is just awful for his skin but he swears it is the only thing that works for him
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 8:18 PM on May. 8, 2011

• I'm highly allergic to it. I'm talking end up getting steroid shots and on meds for it. My cousin pushed me into a patch of it when we were younger and I ended up in the ER. Today while at my brothers DS got into some and my mom took him inside and scrubbed him down with oatmeal scrub in the shower. He's complaining that he's itchy but we haven't noticed any rash or whelps yet. DH gave him some benedryl and another bath. He got a little sunburn too, do I'm really hoping that is what's bothering him.
    KamiB79

Comment by KamiB79 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on May. 8, 2011

• Mine aren't.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:38 AM on May. 9, 2011

• yes, and my kids get relief with an oatmeal bath and tons of calydryl. Also they have to use benadryl.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 1:36 PM on May. 9, 2011

• thankfully not!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:04 PM on May. 9, 2011